Second Skin Audio

what difference does box size make in a ported enclosure?

andru

so i tried some tones from 25-100hz and the sound level seems to start dropping off quickly below 40hz, 45-55 seems to be where it peaks and even at 90hz while it isn't as loud as 50hz but seems to blend with my mids nicely. so it's just notes lower than 40hz that i'm not happy with

It seems to be some rap and edm that i notice the missing notes along with anything decaf, so this makes sense

the higher group delay of a larger box, is this something i can correct with time alignment?

guess i'm going to start trying to learn winisd to see how much of the higher notes i would loose with a larger box vs just extending the port

The higher group delay you get with a larger box you are just kinda stuck with. There is nothing you can do about it. As long as it isn't extremely bad I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Sounds like you really would just benefit from a lower tune. Before you go to the trouble of building a new box, I'd try temporarily extending your port to lower your tuning. You can see where your tuning is by watching your cones move when playing test tones. The frequency where they move the least is your tuning. They will start moving more and you increase or decrease the frequency from that spot.

Another thing that could be happening is you could be getting some cancellation from sound reflecting off your tailgate. If possible, you might try sliding your box back temporarily so that its about 3" from you tailgate and see if that makes a difference in how everything sounds.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Archived