Second Skin Audio

what difference does box size make in a ported enclosure?

andru

I have 2 psi p2 15"s currently i have a 6.7 cube ported box tuned to 38hz that a shop ripped me off on and i don't like the way it sounds. looking at the info psi gives on the subs it says 3.5-5.5 cubes per sub for a ported enclosure seems like quite a bit of variance.

If I'm going to try to build (or rebuild) a box I want to do it right and was wondering what difference the box size makes or what size anyone could recommend?

I figured I could gut the port out and build an external port that should give me 9 cubes and just use some threaded rods to brace it.

When you make a ported box larger you increase efficiency (and thus output) but only right around the tuning frequency. Larger boxes also increase group delay and decrease mechanical power due to higher cone excursion. Everything is a trade off in some way.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

it's a wedge box with double baffle on the top and bottom dims are H 22" W 40.5" bottom Depth 28" top depth 17" 9 cubes total but 6.7 after port and sub displacement

the port is kind of goofy and does a zigzag since if the port was at the bottom it would port directly into my amp rack, I asked them to port it somewhere besides the bottom and figured they would have done something better after the bends the port is 39" wide 3" tall and 22" long

I can't get on photobucket at work to upload photos but i can put some photos up once i get home, If you guys have any input on if it's worth rebuilding I would appreciate it

So in what way do you not like how your current box sounds?

From what you describe, the port layout is significantly less than optimal, but you do have a pretty healthy amount of port area. Your tuning is a bit higher than typical. What amp are you running?

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."

Builds:

what i don't like about the sound is that it seems to hit too high, some songs have notes that just don't seem to hit the way they should

for amps i'm using 2 crescendo s1500.1's running at 1 ohm each and gain matched with a dmm..... I probably should have spent a bit more on better components but i'm waist deep in it now

Well since you are tuned a bit higher than normal, that could be part of your issue. To get a better understanding of what's going on, I'd suggest you play some test tones through your system so you can tell us where exactly your current box sounds good and where it does not. If you could come back and say like "my system hits hard from 40 Hz to 60 Hz but then drops off fast below 37Hz and above 64 hz", that would be really helpful.

Builds:

My guess is that you're dissatisfied with the tuning frequency of the box. That or your vehicle has something to say about your tuning frequency more than the box died.

Cabin can affect your end tuning pretty drastically sometimes.

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

Archived