Second Skin Audio

Looking for some suggestions

NorCalMike

So I have a 96 Tahoe and Im trying to plan out the next stage of my build. What Im looking to do is a down fire ported box with the ports facing my back seats.

All of the area behind the sub box (towards the back doors) is already occupied (camping gear ect). I'm thinking that a down fire setup would work best for my application, I need to keep the subs protected from my gear.

I'm planning for 2 Rockford Fosgate P3D4-12 subs and a Prime 1200 watt amp. Approximate box measurements would be 48" wide 14 inches tall and 18 inches deep. Which should be right over 5 cubic feet. How much room would i need between the subs and the floor? I've seen a general rule of 1/3 sub diameter? And does it sound like this kind of configuration would work decently? I care more about sq and a little ground pounding more than anything.

And before anyone suggests that I aim the ports to the back door, I can't, there is to much gear to be placed there that is in there 90% of the time.

Thanks in advance.

To simplify, will down fire subs with forward facing port, with about 4" of clearance to the backs of my seats, and about 4" from the subs to the floor sound alright? I'm not looking for super sound quality or super ground pounding, just something that sounds good for a daily driver/ camping rig.

So I've taken my current box and layed it on it's face with some 3.5 inch spacers between it and the floor, and I actually think it sounds better than it did before. Only thing is the ports are still facing the floor in this configuration, and not the backs of the seats like I want to try.

Any box recommendations? I'm having a hell of a time with WinISD trying to get the ports reasonable. I would like to go with 3 or 4 inch pvc (I have tons of it around) but the port velocity is pushing 170ft/sec with either size. I'm trying to tune to 32-34hz. Outside box dimensions of 48 wide x 14 tall (not including the spacers so over all would be 18") by 18 inches deep.

Archived