Sundown Audio

1-2kw for my system

PinkFreud65

I'm piecing together a system, finally! I am trying to decide on an amp, wee! I plan on running a single FI SSD 15. I'm looking for an amp that will push this woofer, 1000w rms. I'd LIKE to get something closer to 1.5kw just so I have some head room. And that's assuming my 90A alt in my 06 Mazda 3i sedan will even push 1kw. :/

I have looked at FSD 1600D, I've heard conflicting things on it being a cheap copy of a other amp...but, I have no idea! I'm just wanting something that will ACTUALLY do 1-2kw.

Thanks in advance,

PF

I'm piecing together a system, finally! I am trying to decide on an amp, wee! I plan on running a single FI SSD 15. I'm looking for an amp that will push this woofer, 1000w rms. I'd LIKE to get something closer to 1.5kw just so I have some head room. And that's assuming my 90A alt in my 06 Mazda 3i sedan will even push 1kw. :/

I have looked at FSD 1600D, I've heard conflicting things on it being a cheap copy of a other amp...but, I have no idea! I'm just wanting something that will ACTUALLY do 1-2kw.

Thanks in advance,

PF

1-2kw on what driver and box? I assume you know that subwoofers are a reactive load right, the resistance changes throughout the frequency range. It wouldn't be insane for your driver to peak at over 5x the free air resistance at some point in the bass spectrum. Just go for whatever you can afford and won't break. The Cab1600 should be a reliable amp, as far as i know it was licensed from jacob at sundown. It's such a basic amp that even if something did fry you could replace it with common jellybean parts.

For example, my Ultimax 18" is wired to 1.1 ohms, but at 36hz i have a peak of 4.1 ohms. As you can imagine, this greatly changes the amount of input power.

The difference between 500w and 2000w is inaudible in terms of pure output power. You need a power factor of 10 to double the output of a driver, so don't even stress trying to get some magical 2000w capable amp. Go CAB1600, Prime 1200.1, Hifonics BRZ2400.1, or thereabouts. They're cheap, well built amps that will give you years of reliable output as long as you don't abuse them.

Don't trust a shop but you personally just smoked two decks, makes sense.

03' Trailblazer LT
Dayton Designer 6.5"s & Silkie tweeters
Dayton Audio Ultimax 18"
Pioneer 9601 & 8604
XS Power D3400
2 runs 1/0
Singer 250

Thanks in advance,

PF

1-2kw on what driver and box? I assume you know that subwoofers are a reactive load right, the resistance changes throughout the frequency range. It wouldn't be insane for your driver to peak at over 5x the free air resistance at some point in the bass spectrum. Just go for whatever you can afford and won't break. The Cab1600 should be a reliable amp, as far as i know it was licensed from jacob at sundown. It's such a basic amp that even if something did fry you could replace it with common jellybean parts.

For example, my Ultimax 18" is wired to 1.1 ohms, but at 36hz i have a peak of 4.1 ohms. As you can imagine, this greatly changes the amount of input power.

The difference between 500w and 2000w is inaudible in terms of pure output power. You need a power factor of 10 to double the output of a driver, so don't even stress trying to get some magical 2000w capable amp. Go CAB1600, Prime 1200.1, Hifonics BRZ2400.1, or thereabouts. They're cheap, well built amps that will give you years of reliable output as long as you don't abuse them.

first Ive heard about sundowns hands in this.... do you know if its out of the same buildhouse as the sundown amps and if so are the really just dumbed down versions of a sundown amp

.The difference between 500w and 2000w is inaudible in terms of pure output power.

So your telling us that an increase of 4x the power will have no noticeable affect? Even though were talking about what, a 12dB increase? Can you provide data/links to support this claim, because I'd like to read more into this.

Archived