Second Skin Audio

Enclosure for single 12" l7

solar0987

Here is a box I built the other week for 2 kicker l7 15s..

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/204163-kicker-l7-15-box-ive-been-working-on/

I wouldnt even waste my time building a single 12 l7 box for $125, even if its a plan jane no thrills box just because I dont do prefabs that are held together literately by the carpet and the caulk on the inside.

If $125 is your budget (which it sounds like it is) you should try looking on craigslist for some used tools.

Im sure you could find a used circular saw for $25 and a drill for around $40.

That leaves you with $60 to buy a sheet of wood, some woodglue and some screws, and maybe a square or straight edge if you have money left over so you circular saw can follow it for a clean even cut.

I want that freaking SAW!!!!

Head to Harbor Freight and get a saw, glue screws etc, and a measuring tape.

It's a square hole so you will be good. lol.

The second box I built was for a L7 12 and it wasn't too bad. It doesn't look amazing but it hits the lows pretty good for what it is.

your going to have a considerable amount of group delay with the 3 ft^3 box and a 35hz tune. not only that once you account for coil temp/parameters shifts its going to have less lowed

i personally recommend 2.5 tuned to 33 with 40in^2 of vent.. you can basically take hat response graph and shift it 5-8hz to your right..

just something to consider.

Here's group delay:

image.jpg

It looks like it doesn't increase but rather shifts up in frequency (expected), still peaks in the low 30s, It doesn't seem to be too much of a problem in this case.

anything over 20ms between 30 and 40 IMO is too high.. maybe you can test it and see if you hear the difference? as frequency increases delay becomes more audible. not knocking you or anyone's design just offering another design. the frequency response shift will go upward alittle if you want more lowend just tune abit lower and increase port area.. if you want it to peak harder at tuning increase box size..

Archived