Second Skin Audio

Help

I have a soundqubed hds3-15. I just blew it the other day. I'm wanting to recone it. Am I able to recone it with an hdc3-15 cone kit. Will it hold up better? Or is it even possible. I don't need to know how to run my sub. I didn't intentionally blow it. My dumb a$$ friend did on accident and is paying for the cone kit. Any info will help.

I had just built a new box and I was retuning it. I had my volume up where I listen to normally. I was tweaking things in and I went up front to put my headunit back to flat. While I was up front he decided to turn my gain all the way up. I doesn't know anything about speakers or car audio what so ever. It popped and that was it.

The HDS3 voice coil is different than the HDC3 voice coil.

Yes they are both 3 inch diameter coils, but thats it.

The winding heights for the wire on the voice coil are drastically different.

The thickness of the 2 coils are drastically different.

The gap in the HDC3 motor is much larger to allow a thicker coil that will handle more power than the gap in the motor of the HDS3. To put it simple the HDC3 coil will not even fit in the HDS3 gap without rubbing issues which will lead to failure..

Just because something says 3 inch coil doesnt mean they are all the same.

There are different inner and outer dimensions of the coil, along with a different wire winding height.

What maybe sold as a 3inch coil for one woofer is actually 2.94 inches, while another woofer with a 3inch coil maybe 3.11 inches or anywhere between, above, or lower.

Archived