Jump to content
Second Skin Audio

Sealed enclosure help


Recommended Posts

Posted

Hello all again, in over my head a bit as usual haha.

I'm trying to find or figure out my best way to get a sealed enclosure that will fit in my wife's trunk yet work well with a woofer.

I almost grabbed a sundown but last second I veered off course and grabbed a Infinity kappa 120.9 just because the reference I had before sounded nice with the SQ and bass so it hit the target sound we wanted, it just couldn't take the power I wanted to throw at it, yes I noobed it up and blew it and the amp haha.

But I am now truly factoring in the box since I'm kind of starting from scratch, as of right now I am doing a huge no no and running it in Q-POWER 12" Single Sealed Car Subwoofer Sub Box Enclosure | 13.25 x 13 x 13 .

But I don't have time to build a proper enclosure and I honestly don't know any decent car install places around where I live.

I'm running it on a Sound Magus dk1200 and have gain set to about 34v so only pushing approx. 600W which is it's max at 2 Ohm.

The space I am trying to fit it in is the trunk of a 2002 eclipse spyder, not the roomiest to work with. If I can get a proper sealed enclosure which I feel I am forced to do due to space limitations and the want for solid SQ, what is the easiest method, any known sealed enclosures that are good?

I'm going to be using an American Bass XFL-1222, I can't find what size a sealed enclosure this would need.

Only looking for a single woofer enclosure, currently have about a 1cuft* sealed enclosure, would this be adequate?

PS: Or if I gave trunk measurements anyone willing to just point towards where I should be looking.

Posted

I'm not really sure what you question is?

As far as sealed enclosures go, they are pretty hard to screw up. They are really tolerant of sizing errors, you have to make a big change in box volume to see a noticeable difference in performance. Also, while I dislike prefab boxes as much as anyone, there just isn't a lot to go wrong with a sealed box, so as long as it holds together, using a prefab isn't as bad of a thing to do.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Posted

Sorry about that, sometimes I guess I just ramble on.

Basic question was what would be an ideal sealed enclosure for my setup?

I appreciate your input and opinion. I went with a sealed box for the reason you gave as all say sealed is the most forgiving enclosure.

I was just wondering if I'm hitting an ok volume or if I should change to say a 1.5 cu. ft. sealed enclosure and it would help alleviate some of my bottoming out of my voice coils.

Posted

Yes, technically I am probably coming close to over powering but so many had stated how Infinity underrated that sub and it would handle it no worries. So I went that route instead of getting a Sundown or AB and under powering it.

So now I'm just lost and my biggest issue is when I have it turned up all the way it sounds great but as soon as you turn it down more than 2 clicks the bass just fades and disappears so it's horrible for low volume listening.

That's why I said I'm in over my head after not messing with audio for like 20 years since my teenage days hahaha.

Edit: So maybe I'm thinking right by looking at an AB XFL 1222 and going 1 Ohm with it in a sealed enclosure?

Posted

Well I thought that but have tried various crossovers and EQ's. I'm just running a Kenwood DDX372BT so not a great one but thought it would fit the bill for the price.

And even then when I do set it so with lower volume it fills the space as soon as you want to turn it up it just tries to kill everything essentially hahaha.

Yup that's my dilemma in a nutshell.

Posted

Bump, edited OP as it didn't seem new thread worthy.

Thanks all, I've been gathering and learning along with re-learning a lot from everyone. I couldn't really find any info on a sealed enclosure and the xfl though, can find some ported but I'm looking at sealed.

Posted

The 1 cu ft sealed box you have should be fine for your XFL-12.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 2673 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...