Sundown Audio

amp has no external fuse? install 2 fuses on power wire?

infamous23

Just how ive always done it. Ive had instances where my fuse closest to the amp blows but not the front one. Ive seen plenty of other installs on here that are fused at the amp too.

the reason there is no need for two fuses between an amplifier and a battery is that the amplifier will not output current on that positive wire, only draw it in, because the amplifier is a load, not a source. if the amplifier shorts, then it will create a higher load to the power source (batt, alt) and when the current exceeds the rating of the fuse closest to the power source, it will blow the fuse before damage can be done to the wire. which brings another good point, make sure you do not fuse higher than the wire's ampacity for the amount of length you're using. But, a 120A fuse on 1/0ga wire less than 20ft long will be perfectly fine, even if it's CCA.

the reason there is no need for two fuses between an amplifier and a battery is that the amplifier will not output current on that positive wire, only draw it in, because the amplifier is a load, not a source. if the amplifier shorts, then it will create a higher load to the power source (batt, alt) and when the current exceeds the rating of the fuse closest to the power source, it will blow the fuse before damage can be done to the wire. which brings another good point, make sure you do not fuse higher than the wire's ampacity for the amount of length you're using. But, a 120A fuse on 1/0ga wire less than 20ft long will be perfectly fine, even if it's CCA.

I'm buying knukonceptz OFC 1/0 tinned copper power wire. My power run to my amp is no longer than 15 feet. it might be like 12-13 feet long. okay so i shouldn't use any higher than 120A fuse since thats what my amp says that it draws 120A at full RMS? I'm afraid to go with a bigger fuse, because if i do mess up or something stupid happens i dont want the fuse to be too big to where the fuse wont pop if say i hook up the positive and negative backwards to the amp (i've done it before on accident and it blew both fuses on the amp thank god).

I'm buying enough wire and terminals where i can do the big 3 upgrade as well.

also is there a terminal adapter that i can screw onto the existing battery terminal that will accept 4 ga and 0 ga? or should i just screw them both to the terminal independently?

here is my shopping cart so far

shopping%20cart.png

yes, use a 120A. Just try not to wire your amp inputs incorrectly.

as far as the 1/0 and 4ga battery terminal, there are some, i'm unsure of brands. maybe someone knows. but i've seen them in for sale threads on here before. Maybe Stinger, Rockford Fosgate? Go to sonic electronix and look under their battery terminal section, they might be there.

Sonicelectronix has a bunch of different terminals. I went with a XS battery and for now am using the bolt on top posts, ring terminals under the posts. I might switch to the skyhigh terminal that bolts on to the battery since it has a bunch of 0 guage terminals. Most the ones on sonic are single or double 0 with a few smaller guage.

in that case I would say go with the 240 amp alternator. with two batteries and only a 120 amp draw you should fine. if it's within your budget it wouldn't be a bad idea to upgrade the batteries as well. I'm not sure how hard you plan to push your system but the sundowns are very strong power hungry amps. that being said... if that amps under load and starts to look for amperage that isn't there it will eat itself. so take your time and make the battery bank as strong as you can afford to. when it comes to protecting your equipment too much is never enough. good luck with the build.

Archived