Second Skin Audio

Question About Port Velocity

DLHgn

Sure, here you go:

2e0UaVm.png

The green line is typical for a more musical daily system. Its a FI SSD15 in a 2.75 cu ft box at 30 Hz. Cabin gain in most vehicles will boost the low end up enough to still give a rising response. This setup will have somewhere around 5 db of rise between 60-30 Hz, depending on how much cabin gain there is. If you want something with a flatter and smoother frequency response than that its probably time to consider a sealed box.

The red line is a SPL focused box. Its a SoundQubed HDC315 in 4 cu ft at 35 Hz. That little peak you see in the graph becomes a really pronounced peak in the vehicle due to cabin gain. This setup is only moderately peaky by SPL system standards, there are many that are much more so.

Don't let the positions of the lines on the Transfer Function Magnitude graph fool you. In practice the HDC315 system should be louder than the SSD15 system at pretty much all frequencies above 30 Hz.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Sure, here you go:

2e0UaVm.png

The green line is typical for a more musical daily system. Its a FI SSD15 in a 2.75 cu ft box at 30 Hz. Cabin gain in most vehicles will boost the low end up enough to still give a rising response. This setup will have somewhere around 5 db of rise between 60-30 Hz, depending on how much cabin gain there is. If you want something with a flatter and smoother frequency response than that its probably time to consider a sealed box.

The red line is a SPL focused box. Its a SoundQubed HDC315 in 4 cu ft at 35 Hz. That little peak you see in the graph becomes a really pronounced peak in the vehicle due to cabin gain. This setup is only moderately peaky by SPL system standards, there are many that are much more so.

Don't let the positions of the lines on the Transfer Function Magnitude graph fool you. In practice the HDC315 system should be louder than the SSD15 system at pretty much all frequencies above 30 Hz.

The Red curve is damn near identical to my current design just shifted lower. My main goals for the build are to be loud and low within reason given the equipment I run. I want to be SQ but I just think it'll be real hard to get it sounding really good with only two front speakers (back ones will be covered by box) and such a small cabin.

Most SQ systems only rely on front speakers as they want the staging to sound like the music is in front of you.

Well, thankfully, I plan on prepping as if it is a SQ build with putting high quality deadener as well as getting clean sounding speakers. I planned on getting some sort of DSP down the line but that isn't a priority.

Archived