Second Skin Audio

Wireing Question

Alright I have a question about wireing my buddies subs. He has 2 12" CVR's. He needs them to be at 4 ohm at the amp. So I wired each one in series 2 Daul 4 ohm subs brings the amp to 2 ohm. But when I go to wire the subs to 8 and 8 to bring it to 4 ohm, I wire it like this. Positive to voice coil one, and negative to voice coil 2. Now take a wire and run it to negative of voice coil one, and the postive of voice coil 2. But it doesent work. Sub doesent even work. Now I tried positive and negative to voice coil one and just bridged the pos and neg of voice coil 2 and it worked. Any ideas? Amp dident go into protect either times so elminate any amp problems.

maybee one of the voice coils is blown out and and not completing the connection with the first way you explained, but when you hooked the positive and negative up to coil one it might work but maybe its just bumping on one coil, not sure though

if there dual 4 u can only wire them to 1 or 4 ohm so if u have them at 2 right now yer doin something wrong. obvioulsy u didnt have them just like the link amatt put up ..

1999 grand prix gt

kenwood x994 head unit

1/0 big 3 all shok industry single run to the back

New mid/highs coming not sure what

Soundqubed q2200d at .5 (have)

2 soundqubed hdc3 12s (have)

New box to be built.. sealed firing forward (yet to be designed)

200 amp alt not sure exact size or manufactor xs power batts

The one on the left says that how your are supposed to wire it to 8 ohm. But it dosent even work or play anything. So the only other way on the right works. But is it even 8 ohm or is it just 1 voice coil working and at 4 ohm?

untitled.jpg

Edited by PaulO2288

if the way you have shown on the right is the only way that works, im thinking one of your coils is blown out, any the way shown on the right is pushing one coil at 4 ohms, the second coil is getting no power this way (the coils are not connected internally)

See now the same thing happened to my RD sonances but now none of the voice coils are working with that sub. 1 stopped by itself and the other just stopped a few weeks ago. Have to get them fixed. Voice coils arent blown, Neither are his, But my RD's are crappy and RD is the biggest mistake ever.

How can I check the ohms with a dmm? Never done it before

just turn the setting on the dmm to the ohm setting (the horseshoe lookin thing) and just hold the positive lead on the postive side of the coil and the same with the negative side of the coil...

i likes me some audio stuff...