Second Skin Audio

2 pvc ports vs one

Hooah87

My box is 2.2 cubes net after sub and port displacement if I use the size I'm thinking I need for port.

The12volt says for a 2.2 cubes box with a 4" pvc port to tune to 30 hz says pic port length needs to be 15.7 inches long,

Since my box is a lil over two cubes I figured I would need at least 25 sq of port meaning I would need two 4 inch ports

My question is since I need 15.7 inches long of a port do I cut that in half since I'm using two 4" ports, so cut each port to 7.85 inches?

I know it's a noob question

If you increase port area, you need to increase port length to achieve the same tuning.

Please do not equate port area to box volume, as the correlation is low. Yes, larger boxes theoretically produce more gain around tuning, which leads to more port velocity.... but the port velocity is what you should be looking at mainly anyway.

Check out WinISD. Its helped me a lot on my past few walls.

On 5/8/2011 at 7:38 PM, Kranny said:
On 5/8/2011 at 7:35 PM, 'Maxim' said:

It hurts me inside when I read stuff like this and remember you're 15

LMFAO so true

:blush:

Mitsubishi 3000GT (Old Build)

Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS

Frontstage: (2) McLaren Audio MLT-2 Tweeters & (4) PRV Audio MR Series Neo 6.5" Mids

Substage: 4 15" Hybrid Subs - Tantric Motors & Sundown Softies

Amps: Banda 2.4D Amp (Tweets), American Bass VFL 350.4 (Mids), and (2) Ampere 3800s

Electrical :Singer 260A Alt & JY Power Lithium

2005 Chevy Colorado Ext Cab

Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS

Frontstage: 4 PRV 700Ti Tweets & 6 10" Delta Mids on 3000wrms

Substage: 6 Fi BTL 18s in a 4th Order Walkthrough on 3 Wolfram 4500s

Electrical: Singer "390" and JY Power

My Official Feedback Thread

+1 to what hdorre said.

What sub and amp are you building this for?

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

I posted a thread called enclosure cut sheet help. That has a break down of all my measurements and equipment if u need that to to help me out, I saw something that said try to stay between 12-16 sq inches of port per cube so I was thinking one 4" port wouldn't be enough, and also wanting to fire my port to the rear/ license plate side ,my depth max is 16 inches so that's why I originally wanted to see if I could split the length of the port I needed since it required a single 4 " port to be 15.7 inches for a 29-30 hz tuning , sorry for the big explanation, just wanted to give all the details

Well you were thinking correctly, one 4" port would definitely not be enough. In fact using two 4" ports is still going to be less than ideal, but its probably all you are going to be able to fit. About a 35 sq in slot port would probably be best.

If you want to stick with the two 4" ports, to tune 2.2 cu ft to 30 Hz they are going to need to be about 31" each, which may be tough to fit.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

A Lanzar opti 12" 1232d dual 2 ohm

And running a Lanzar vibe 1800d at 1 ohm. It's the old model with 4 30 amp fuses. Going to start my install tmmrw, just got my power wire and stuff today

thats not enough power for that sub and I dont think u can safely wire that amp to 1ohm

At triticum

Looks like I'll have to go with a slot port then because I don't think I can fit two 4" ports 31" long in that design,

So a 4 inch wide by 8.5 height slot port is 34 sq inches of port correct , since my max height dimensions is 10 inches

Archived