4th Order TV Stand, New fun idea.

not to thread jack

why do so many home theaters use a bandpass design?

is it just a bad idea for home audio?

I assume you meant "why do so many home theaters NOT use a bandpass design?"

From my understanding there are two main reasons, the first is bandpass design just don't offer many advantages that are applicable to home theater usage over regular ported or sealed designs. The second reason is that bandpass boxes have limited bandwidth. Most home theater subwoofers are trying to cover at least a two octave frequency range (usually from 20 to 80 Hz) and its really, really hard to get two octaves of usable output out of a bandpass design.

There is one exception where bandpass boxes do get used for home theater and that's horns. Horns are technically a bandpass design with front loaded horns being a 4th order configuration and tapped horns being a 6th order configuration. With horns its a bit easier to squeeze out two octaves of good output, and even if you can't, the advantages of horns can make up for their more limited frequency range depending on what you are wanting to do.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

i think i am just referring to bose deigns. as they are quite popular and are "4th order bandpass" typically. but thank you for the answer

i think i am just referring to bose deigns. as they are quite popular and are "4th order bandpass" typically. but thank you for the answer

Ah, OK.

Bose has been through a bunch of different design styles with their "Acoustimass" subs. In the past they have used 4th and 6th order bandpass designs, I think their current model is a transmission line.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Ah, OK.

Bose has been through a bunch of different design styles with their "Acoustimass" subs. In the past they have used 4th and 6th order bandpass designs, I think their current model is a transmission line.

good ol wave radios

Archived