4th Order TV Stand, New fun idea.

So i was playing around on sketchup last night and thought it would be fun to design a tv stand with its own built in enclosure. The more i thought about it the more i figured it would be cool to run 4 12" in a 4th order. Now i don't claim to be an expert by any means on home audio anything, but i would like to expand my knowledge into some different areas. So on to the enclosure then. The sealed side is 6ft3 and the ported side is 13.5ft3 with 4 6" aero ports tuned to 40hz. I'm just looking to get some input from some people who know a little more about the home audio side of things. Oh and the subs i was thinking about using are the dayton audio reference series 12" 8 ohm and running about 1000wrms to all 4.

Screenshot%2041_zpsy4w0bjfk.png

Screenshot%2042_zpsiianqxqn.png

You don't see very many bandpass boxes used for home audio. Probably the reason for this is the goal (ideally) for most home audio subs is to cover from 20 - 80 hz. That's two octaves and is very difficult to do with a bandpass box. I'm sure a bandpass box could be a fun project none the less.

If you want to greatly reduce the vibration you could orient the subs so they are dual opposed, either facing each other or facing away. This way the vibrations from the cones moving cancel each other out, but output is the same.

In your home you aren't going to benefit from the cabin gain you get in a vehicle, which greatly boosts the low frequency output. Because of this you are going to have to design your box to have much flatter frequency response otherwise you will end up with a one note sub. This probably means your ported chamber will need to be smaller than the sealed chamber.

Just as a sanity check, for what those four Dayton RSS315 subs will cost you could get two of these: http://stereointegrity.com/product/ds4-18-subwoofer/

Put each one of those in a 8 cu ft box tuned to 18 hz (two separate sub enclosures are better than one big one) and you will have some serious home audio bass.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

You don't see very many bandpass boxes used for home audio. Probably the reason for this is the goal (ideally) for most home audio subs is to cover from 20 - 80 hz. That's two octaves and is very difficult to do with a bandpass box. I'm sure a bandpass box could be a fun project none the less.

If you want to greatly reduce the vibration you could orient the subs so they are dual opposed, either facing each other or facing away. This way the vibrations from the cones moving cancel each other out, but output is the same.

In your home you aren't going to benefit from the cabin gain you get in a vehicle, which greatly boosts the low frequency output. Because of this you are going to have to design your box to have much flatter frequency response otherwise you will end up with a one note sub. This probably means your ported chamber will need to be smaller than the sealed chamber.

Just as a sanity check, for what those four Dayton RSS315 subs will cost you could get two of these: http://stereointegrity.com/product/ds4-18-subwoofer/

Put each one of those in a 8 cu ft box tuned to 18 hz (two separate sub enclosures are better than one big one) and you will have some serious home audio bass.

They only have a limited quantity left and they are only 230 shipped you you add them to your cart. One of the reasons I bought one

They only have a limited quantity left and they are only 230 shipped you you add them to your cart. One of the reasons I bought one

The deal on those subs right now is so good pretty much nothing else competes. I'd love to have a pair for my house, the spouse approval factor on two 8 cu ft subs is pretty low though.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."

Builds:

I'd buy them just to have. I don't know much about sub specs but what makes that one good besides it's a HT type sub?

Well there is quite a bit about them that makes them pretty desirable. They have a fairly high power handling for that type of sub, low inductance (Le), and a moderate QTS that makes them appropriate for both sealed and ported box usage. For sealed box usage you want a low Fs and as much cone displacement as possible (which is cone area * xmax), which this sub has in abundance. For the price there just isn't anything else that comes close.

Builds:

I'd buy them just to have. I don't know much about sub specs but what makes that one good besides it's a HT type sub?

Well there is quite a bit about them that makes them pretty desirable. They have a fairly high power handling for that type of sub, low inductance (Le), and a moderate QTS that makes them appropriate for both sealed and ported box usage. For sealed box usage you want a low Fs and as much cone displacement as possible (which is cone area * xmax), which this sub has in abundance. For the price there just isn't anything else that comes close.

So it would be suitable for bandpass as well then?

So it would be suitable for bandpass as well then?

Yes, but if you want much usable bandwidth its only going to be useful for pretty low frequencies due to the low Fs of the sub.

Builds:

Archived