Component Help

Daddy_

Has anyone had any experience with the following lineup of Focal below? Looking for something to keep up with 2 12 Sundown SA's. How do they compare to JL Audio C5 since there around the same price range.

Was looking to do either the ES 165K or the PS 165FX for the fronts and run the 165 AS in the rears and run it off the FPX 400.8.

If I go JL's C5 in the front and either C3 or C2 components in the rear off the JL HD 600/4

http://www.focal-america.com/product/es165k/

http://www.focal-america.com/product/ps-165-fx/

http://www.focal-america.com/product/165as/

http://www.focal-america.com/product/fpx-4-800/

On a side note has anyone ran Infinity Kapps or the Kappa perfects. I'm looking for something that will get loud but also have mid bass. I listened to the Type R components and they get loud but no mid bass at all.

Car: 2012 Acura TL Elite

Head Unit: JL Audio Fix86

Front Stage : Alpine SPX-17PRO

Rear Stage : Alpine SPR-60C

Component Amp : JL Audio HD 600/4

Sub : 1 12" JL Audio W7

Sub Amp : JL Audio HD 1200

Also looking into the Image Dynamic series. XS-65 for the fronts and CXS64 V.2 for the rear/ any experience with them anyone?

Car: 2012 Acura TL Elite

Head Unit: JL Audio Fix86

Front Stage : Alpine SPX-17PRO

Rear Stage : Alpine SPR-60C

Component Amp : JL Audio HD 600/4

Sub : 1 12" JL Audio W7

Sub Amp : JL Audio HD 1200

• 4 weeks later...

Ive ran the C5s before and the woofer is really nice but the tweeter is a little lacking. Also have heard the es165ks in a display board at the shop I work at. They sound pretty nice but comparable to the JL c5s. Personally I would not run the Access components from focal, they are loud but the quality just isn't there. I moved up to the K2's from the c5s and will never look back.

On the other side the C3 components are crazy loud on good power and can sound clean. HD amps are awesome when paired with C5 or C3.

IMHO, I would focus on big clean power on your front components, and either eliminate or greatly reduce the emphasis on rear fill speakers! Based on the 'looks' of your intended goals, you appear to have the exact same quest as I (SQL!).

For years, I used the following in my previous ride:

Lexus GS

Zapco DSP

Focal K2P (6.5 and tweets in front) <- Zapco C2K (300 watts a side)

DD9512 (1 X 12" woofer) <- Zapco C2K 9.0 (2000+ watts)

Rear fill speakers <- NONE!

How did it sound? Freak'n Amazing! To keep up with your 2 12's, get a really good set of front components with a lot of power! Make sure they are enclosed properly! If they are going in the factory locations, make sure to also use fastrings to push the sound in and increase midbass.

No easy answer exists to your question of sound though.... I recently put a system into my Mercedes CLA45. I was going to put my Focals into the new car, but found that one of the tweeters was one their way out. After much trail and tribulation, I decided to just get brand new components. I listened and researched everything I could (Focal, JL Audio, Hertz, etc..). One place had a very nice sound board having ALL of Focal's lineup. I sat there and listened to them all. They were all powered by an Arc Audio KAR series. Without a doubt, the Utopias were the most balanced and accurate. They appeared far and away superior to all other lines. The K2's were next, and did appear to sound MUCH better than all other lower lines within Focal. But here's the deal... They all had their own very unique sound! Aside from the Utopias, which were the CLEAR winners, all the other lines were night and day different in sound, in every way. Some people listening liked one line the best, while others disagreed and liked another line within the Focals. There was no rhyme or reason. Everyone's ear is different. To 'me', the more expensive the line, the better the sound, to me...

At the end of the day, I got Hybrid Audio Clarus. To me, they appear to reproduce the most accurately and get loud and can take a ton of power. I am now running the following:

HU: stock - 'cuz I have no choice

DSP's: JL Audio Fix and JL Audio Twik

Front: Hybrid Audio 6.5 and tweeters

Rear: NONE!

Sub: DD9512

Front amp: Arc Audio XDi 1200.6 (Active to components)

Sub amp: Zapco C2K 9.0

During the install, I attempted to activate speakers in the rear and it completely jacked up the sound stage! So I left them off completely.

In conclusion, only you can determine what components YOU will like the best. Most components sound COMPLETELY different. Go listen to all you can yourself. Furthermore, the quality of install will account for alot as well! Make sure to use time alignment to maximize the sound from your Audison. If you put a bunch of clean power to the components of your choice, you should be golden ;)

Good luck

HU: stock - 'cuz I have no choice

DSP's: JL Audio Fix and JL Audio Twik

Front: Hybrid Audio 6.5 and tweeters

Rear: NONE!

Sub: DD9512

Front amp: Arc Audio XDi 1200.6 (Active to components)

Sub amp: Zapco C2K 9.0

How are you liking the tun software? Ive played around with it but not in a car.

Archived