Sundown Audio

Amp overheats & goes into protect even when turned down

chuey_316

I've had it for about a year now. Before that it belong to a skar rep, and team Xplicit member. Never had a problem until now. I just have horrible luck with amps. Think I'll just fix my 1800d for now, just need to replace 1 more fet. Then I'll look at fixing this one if the ground doesn't help. Gonna upgrade my electrical to 2 ad244's too for 290amps. My gauge dip just having my blinker on.

1999 Blazer

AD-244 Alt (soon to be 2)

HU / Pioneer P7800MP

Sub / RE 18HC

Amp / Shopping for a new one

7.71 cubes 118 sq" port area tuned to 34.9hz

Just got home, and took the bottom plate off and had a look and smell. No burnt smell anywhere, and didn't see any swollen caps, or melting anywhere. Did notice that where the amp is getting so hot is where the fets are mounted, and imho, they did not do the best job with the thermal grease.

I did see one spot that had some discoloration, but can't tell if it's the glue that they have down or not. I'll get a couple pics and post em up to see what anyone thinks.

1999 Blazer

HU / Pioneer P7800MP

Sub / RE 18HC

Would I just connect one probe to the neg battery terminal, and the other to my grounding point and check for voltage, or is there another way I don't know about?

1999 Blazer

HU / Pioneer P7800MP

Sub / RE 18HC

I've been sick these last few days, and with long hours at work I haven't been able to get much done. I did swap to an ad244 from the local yard, and tested the voltage. At the alt I'm getting 14.15-14.2v, while at the battery, I'm getting around 13.95v. Not a huge drop, but every vehicle I've ever owned I've read the same voltage at the battery as the alt. Still have to do the big 3, so I'll clean up the alt case, and all ground points and see if it makes a difference.

1999 Blazer

HU / Pioneer P7800MP

Sub / RE 18HC

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for not updating sooner. Had some things come up that kept me from being able to to anything until today. I took the truck out earlier on a 20-25 min drive to a neighboring town. Had the amp on the whole time there and back and it never turned off. I didn't really have it turned up though, except for a few minutes on the way back. While it would usually go into protect after awhile, even with the head unit off, it would definitely heat up a lot faster at higher volumes and turn off quicker.

When I got home I cleaned up the alt case, and ran a new ground from the battery to the case and to the frame. Then cleaned up a spot on the frame with my die grinder, and ran the ground from the amp. Got it all done, and took the truck out and really pushed the amp for 25 minutes or so, with the most bass intensive songs that I have. Never turned off once. After stopping, I checked the amp, and the heat sinks were only warm, where before they would be hot just from the amp being powered on for a bit.

Haven't added the 2nd ad-244 yet. Haven't needed to. Even at full tilt, the voltage gauge stays up by 14v. Once the 2nd amp and components go in I'll see if I need it, but I think it'll be good. Seems like the amp is good now, but I guess time will tell. Thanks to everyone for the help.

1999 Blazer

HU / Pioneer P7800MP

Sub / RE 18HC

Archived