Second Skin Audio

Port Loacation?

cvanwey

Hello all,

I'm going to build my sub box in my Mercedes CLA45. I was reading elsewhere that to maximize efficiency, the slot port exit point 'should' be placed on the same board as the sub. Is this actually true, mostly? I see many builds, like caraudiofabrication.com, where a very high quality box is built with sub firing to the front/rear, and the slot port is side-firing. The box was like 18" deep so I really doubt it was designed for a truck.

For ease of build, and so I don't have a 90 degree bend in my port, I was thinking about firing the sub/subs to the rear, and the port on the side. The box will be around 30" wide, with about 8" of space between the port exit and trunk side wall. Otherwise, I can build it with the sub and port both rear firing. But honestly, I feel this may actually be at a disadvantage, as there will be a good 3 feet of space between both the sub and port to load off the rear trunk wall. In the side port option, at least the port will load properly, even though it's not going to bounce right into the driver space....?

Anyone experiment with this scenario?

TY!

The only case I can think of where you "HAVE" to the sub and port on the same face would be in a quarter wave/transmission line. Your traditional bass reflex will often have the sub and port on different faces, it's very dependent on the vehicle what sub + port orientation will produce the best results.

And even in a t-line there are a lot of supposed rules, but many people break them and still get great sounding boxes.

Generally in trunk cars the port and sub are on the same face and facing the rear of the car moved as far back as possible to help with cancellation issues. or you can do subs facing forward but would need to seal off from the trunk.

Archived