tposton103 Posted October 11, 2016 Report Posted October 11, 2016 I am building a box for my zv4 12, and I really want to do sub up port up because I want to use my cargo space and so the want to suck up anything I put back there. Will there be any real disadvantages to doing it this way? Also wondering when kerfing wood for the port do you need to add any extra lenth to your wood to make the kerfing? Wanting to win from the top left corner to the bottom right corner with the kerf on the top right.
ckeeler11 Posted October 11, 2016 Report Posted October 11, 2016 Generally speaking in SUV type vehicles sub up and port back is best but sub up port might be okay. As for your kerfing question i dont know but would imagine you need to add some length when bending the wood.
Triticum Agricolam Posted October 12, 2016 Report Posted October 12, 2016 When cutting panels that are going to be kerfed you need to figure out what the outside circumference of the kerfed bend will be to know how much total length you will need. I suggest cutting the board several inches longer than it needs to be, doing the kerf bend with some extra material left on both sides and then trim it down to the final dimensions once the kerf bend has been glued up. "Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it.""Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."Builds:
tposton103 Posted October 12, 2016 Author Report Posted October 12, 2016 Thanks so much!! What circumference would you recommend? Also where do I need to start the kerf. Let's say I want a 3" bend and I need it to go strait down at the 12" mark where would I start and end the kerf?
Triticum Agricolam Posted October 12, 2016 Report Posted October 12, 2016 A kerf radius the same as the port width work well. Its really up to you though. Kerf bends with a radius less then 2.5" get pretty tough. If you want the bend to start at 12" from the end of the board, make your first cut at 12.5" then trim off the extra 1/2" after its glued up. Lets say you want a 3" radius and its a 90 degree bend. The circumference would be 3 times pi (3.14159) divided by two (since its only 90 degrees) = 4.71. So your first cut and last cut will need to be 4.71" apart, or as close to that as you can get. If you are off 1/16" or so it won't matter much. "Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it.""Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."Builds:
tposton103 Posted October 12, 2016 Author Report Posted October 12, 2016 Again thanks so much you cleared things up perfectly now I can start my bicycle build!
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.