Second Skin Audio

Bandpass ported through rear deck. Questions.

Evilthx

If I can, I'm going to try to keep it close to the manufacturer recommendation. If their graph is accurate to that port size, it should be good at 40hz and my amps bass boost is centered at 45hz I think. It should sound great. The goof is, RF has a 12 with almost identical specs...

Kenwood Excelon KDC-X998

JBL GTO608C Components

JBL GTO628 Coaxials

JBL P1224 12" dual 4ohm Subwoofers

Alpine MRV-F545 - Alpine MRX M100

Hand Built by Me 5.9cu.ft. slot ported enclosure tuned to 27hz

So you are going to start with the 55 Hz front chamber tuning?

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

So you are going to start with the 55 Hz front chamber tuning?

Oh I have no clue... I have little knowledge of how each chamber affects the sound on a band pass box. I have been trying to use WinISD Pro but the damn program won't let me save it when I put in the speakers parameters. I used a pre-loaded speaker that I thought was close to the specs so I know the program will do what I want it to do but man I want to use my speakers specs.

JBL-Specs-Para_zpsjqtn0quv.jpg

Kenwood Excelon KDC-X998

JBL GTO608C Components

JBL GTO628 Coaxials

Putting the parameters into WinISD can be a hassle. Here is a driver file I did for you: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1642665/JBL%20P1224.wdr

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."

Builds:

If I can, I'm going to try to keep it close to the manufacturer recommendation. If their graph is accurate to that port size, it should be good at 40hz and my amps bass boost is centered at 45hz I think. It should sound great. The goof is, RF has a 12 with almost identical specs...

So you are going to stick with 2x 4" round ports?

as the port gets bigger it needs to get longer to keep same tuning. if you are going with a 6.5" square port at 7" long the tuning will be ridiculously high.

Thanks everyone, you are a big help. I found Steve Meades write up on 4th order boxes and that also will help a lot. The build should start a week or so into November.

Kenwood Excelon KDC-X998

JBL GTO608C Components

JBL GTO628 Coaxials

Putting the parameters into WinISD can be a hassle. Here is a driver file I did for you: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1642665/JBL%20P1224.wdr

I tried... it still won't save or load in WinISD Pro but did load into WinISD (older version). If the experts could check out this pic and let me know if it is a good curve or not, that would be cool. I literally changed it from a round to a square port and set the tuning at 47hz. This made the smoothest curve.

JBL-4th-order_zpsyasgdlqp.jpg

JBL-4th-order-Para_zps6wuyokht.jpg

Kenwood Excelon KDC-X998

JBL GTO608C Components

JBL GTO628 Coaxials

A 4" x 4" port is going to be much too small.

I think its under the "Plot" tab you can enter in how much input power you will be running, then you can watch the "Vent Mach" number in the "Vents" tab to see what your port velocity will be. Keep it under .08, under .06 would even better.

Builds:

The plot tab helped. Thanks. Seems like a 6th order covers way more frequencies than a 4th order. Is it any less effective to NOT port a Bandpass box through the rear deck and just have the ports firing into the trunk?

Kenwood Excelon KDC-X998

JBL GTO608C Components

JBL GTO628 Coaxials

Archived