Sonic Electronix

My current setup is 2 Diamond D3 10s. They're 500rms I believe. They're powered by a 500.1 diamond amp. Only one sub is working, the other one had it's rubber surround come apart (I bought used).

I now have a 1100.1 hifonics Brutus amp with a 10 inch RE audio SXXv2 sub. My question is can I go out to my car, remove the broken sub, add in the new sub, remove the old amp and add the new one without have to upgrade any wiring? The wiring is nothing special. Whatever a local audio shop would use to install. I just don't want to risk killing my battery or setting my car on fire from it. I can go out and grab some piif needed.

You want to run mismatched subs? No one here will recommend that. Especially if they share an enclosure. Even if the subs are rated for the same RMS power, they have different parameters and won't perform equally.

As far as your amps, it depends on if they require the same wiring size and fuse size. Which I'm sure they don't. Maybe wiring, but not fuse. You'll have to upgrade to the recommended fuse size for the hifonics amp, and probably 4ga power/ground wiring if the diamond amp uses 8ga.

look at the fuse and see what size it is then. And look at the hifonics amp manual and see what size fuse it recommends. If the one you currently have installed is anything except the same size as what is recommended, then you need to buy the correct size fuse and install it before using your hifonics amp.

Yes. Buy a 60 amp fuse and install it. Using a fuse that is larger than what is recommended can potentially harm your amplifier and wiring or worse in the event of a short to ground. That 100A fuse should not have been used with the diamond amp either.

I don't recommend you do that. Find a matching sub for either one. Mixing different subs is not a good idea. They have different parameters making them react to power applied differently, and will present unmatched loads to the amp.

Archived