Dysfunctional Infidel Posted January 3, 2017 Report Posted January 3, 2017 I have 2 American Bass XR 12s going into a ported common chamber enclosure. I currently have 1 Alpine Mrx m110 amplifier and was wanting to get another m110 amp so each sub has its own amp. Problem is I have heard that it is not a good idea unless the amps are strappable. Can I get by using these 2 amps or would I be better off using 1 larger amp for the 2 subs?
reedal Posted January 3, 2017 Report Posted January 3, 2017 the reason people don't recommend two amps is because you have to gain match them, and just because the gain is in the exact same spot on the second amp, doesn't mean they're matched. You'd need a DMM or a SMD CC-1 in order to properly gain match the amplifiers to ensure that their output is the exact same level. It would be simpler to use a single larger amp, but it's ultimately up to you. There's multiple threads on Gain Matching on this forum, and the search function works quite well, so I'd suggest using it good luck with your decision SMD Tool Map https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/193176-smd-tool-map-new-november-2014/ Build log https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/197217-reeds-03-tahoe-hat-sqaq-singer-xs-shca-cockbox-80prs/?page=32
Dysfunctional Infidel Posted January 4, 2017 Author Report Posted January 4, 2017 I know it seemed like a dumb question probably. Just not up to date on a lot of terms used. Just wanna make sure I do it right the first time. I do appreciate the help though. I checked out the gain matching and it seems like its a pain in the ass. Looks like a bigger amp it will be.
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.