Second Skin Audio

Bandpass Box Help? Port Tune Questions.

darksoul989

I am hoping someone can explain bandpass and how the port tuning works.

I recently had a friend give me a bandpass box with a kicker cvr 12d2 in it...
the box measures 15"h 20"w 8. 5"d both sealed and ported side having these measurements. 2 tube ports 3.875" What i don't understand is way it sounds for the ports it has???

According to every port calculator iv used its tuned at 95hz! Am i measuring port frequency wrong or does bandpass create a different port frequency that is measured differently.

Also can someone explain bandpass and how you tune one.

I AM ASKING, CAUSE THIS BOX SOUNDS AMAZING DESPITE THIS QUESTIONABLE PORT FREQUENCY!

8 minutes ago, darksoul989 said:

I am hoping someone can explain bandpass and how the port tuning works.

I recently had a friend give me a bandpass box with a kicker cvr 12d2 in it...
the box measures 15"h 20"w 8. 5"d both sealed and ported side having these measurements. 2 tube ports 3.875"W 5"L What i don't understand is way it sounds for the ports it has???

According to every port calculator iv used its tuned at 95hz! Am i measuring port frequency wrong or does bandpass create a different port frequency that is measured differently.

Also can someone explain bandpass and how you tune one.

I AM ASKING, CAUSE THIS BOX SOUNDS AMAZING DESPITE THIS QUESTIONABLE PORT FREQUENCY!

With the dimensions you gave, both the front and the rear chambers are about 1.48 cu ft, minus sub and port displacements.  The way port tuning is calculated is the same for bandpass boxes as it is for ported boxes.  Usually bandpass boxes are tuned quite a bit higher than ported boxes, but 95 Hz would be really high.  Based on your port dimensions I show a tuning around 75 Hz, which is still pretty high.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

2 hours ago, Triticum Agricolam said:

With the dimensions you gave, both the front and the rear chambers are about 1.48 cu ft, minus sub and port displacements.  The way port tuning is calculated is the same for bandpass boxes as it is for ported boxes.  Usually bandpass boxes are tuned quite a bit higher than ported boxes, but 95 Hz would be really high.  Based on your port dimensions I show a tuning around 75 Hz, which is still pretty high.

The dimensions given are putter measurements. I get about 1-1.1cu ft with the box calculators I use.

2 hours ago, darksoul989 said:

The dimensions given are putter measurements. I get about 1-1.1cu ft with the box calculators I use.

Oh, OK.  You are probably pretty close with your tuning estimate then.

So basically what you have is a box that is a bandpass box for marketing reasons only.  All 4th order bandpass boxes pretty much function like a sealed box at frequencies below the front chamber tuning.  Since your box is tuned to high its going to be performing like a sealed box most of the time.  There is nothing wrong with that and all the really matters is that you are happy with the performance.  The Kicker CVR sub you have is pretty well suited for sealed box/4th order bandpass use.  

If you wanted to save some space you could put that sub in a 1.1 cu ft sealed box and you will probably get very similar performance to what you have now.  

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Archived