Second Skin Audio

Q15 Neo Box

jimdog32526

Ive been working the calculators and crunching numbers, and going back and forth with Fi Audio about a box design for the Q15 Neo.

Im getting there.  I am a complete noob in 3d design, though I have been using 2d CAD for damn near 20 years, I never had to draw anything 3D before.  So this is my first ever attempt at drawing 3D lol.  Its a process for sure.

A few more revisions, another trip thru the manual, and a bit more practice and I will have this down.  I just like learning something new with the software I have been using for years.  I use TurboCAD, I have also used RhinoCAD.  Rhino has alot more features, but I only have the free version.  TurboCAD gets the job done though.  I can calculate area, Volume, and everything I need to design the box using the calculators information.  I wish I had Term-Pro though.  That looks fun to play with. 

I am going to re-draw this so I can Recess the edges. into the faces where boards overlap.  But for a first attempt I think its not so bad.

Sub%20Box1.jpg

Im still trying to figure out how the software works.  I cant get the Holes to show up as holes in the surface.  I need to consult the instructions yet again to figure that out.  Whenever I do a quality render, it just shows up as a solid box.  Oh well, something else to figure out.

I probably need to move the speaker opening over some more to give more material on the front face.  Its a bit thin there on the side.

Looks like you have a pretty good start!  I use Sketchup for 3d modeling work, but there are lots of good choices for software.

One suggestion I have for your box layout is to change the port so that once it reaches the back wall it has a 90 degree turn and then runs along that back panel instead of the 180 degree turn.  180 degree turns are bad for airflow and its better if you can avoid using them. 

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Archived