Second Skin Audio

Sub box feedback

jfw5731

So I have a 2009 Mega Cab and I am in the process of installing a single 15. Just looking for some feedback on the box design. It is a slanted box of course about 4 cubes. Just wondering the input on the port. I'm leaning towards a slot port out the top. I could also fire it towards the drivers side, the sub will be situated towards the passenger side. What's everyones thoughts on this?

I think it's going to come down to personal preference.  If it's just a daily for music I would probably do port up because I like the thought of it aesthetically  it's for competition people might recommend the port come out on the passenger side with subs behind driver side.  I think either way,  if you can get the airspace you are set.  

so far...

HU- pioneer DEH-P59001B

Amp- crescendo BC2000D

Wire- 1/0 awg welding lead

Electric- Big 3 ^same wire

Subs- 2 Obsidian Audio 12 d4's

Box 4ft^3 ported at 33hz. designed by Ram-Designs

Its an older RE SX PRO15. They are around 9" mounting depth. Have about 10 inches to play with on the slant. I was leaning towards just doing a slot port out the side towards the driver with the sub towards the same end. Box is 48" long top is 9 bottom is 12 and 22 high. Port around 3" high and 6 3/4 wide and 11" long. About 32hertz. Box is right about 4 cubes after displacements.

as long as you have room for excursion sounds like you're on the right path.  i would increase the port size a little.  at 3x6.75 you are in the neighborhood of 5 inches per cube.  that is very low.  try two 5" round ports.  that nets you around 9-10" per cube which will cause far less port noise issues.  that way if you want to change tuning it's as simple as sliding it out and sliding a different one in.  

Archived