I know a decent amount about car audio, but never have I installed a subwoofer this powerful... im wondering what i can get away with. I will have one 15" contralto 2500w rms, a mono amp 3000w rms @ .5ohm (its rated to handle that). Now I will not be bumping for hours straight, probably here and there. Im wondering, if I bought a XS Power battery wired with my factory, and given they are fully charged, with stock (130a) alternator charging, can i bump for a little bit and then give the batteries a rest after a minute or full song? I suppose i could try it and watch my voltage...basically how long can a strong AGM battery last to supply power with my settup? I know a HO alternator is my best option, im just wondering if there is another option i can get away with that will cost less $$ for my scenario. Ill hear from the pros.

I would say you are at the limits of what your electrical can handle on music. Dont roll up into clipping and watch your voltage. How low you let that drop is up to you. I personally back off when i get down to below 12v. I was running 3k at 1ohm and a 4 channel that was fused at 60amps and im running two group 34 batts and a 190 amp alt. Voltage does pretty good as far as i am concerned. 

You can spend $300 on more reserve batteries and add all that weight, spend $400 on a supercap bank and parts to hook it up right, or spend about 350-450 on an a good HO alt. Seems like a easy choice.

Thanks for reply. If i decided to get the 240amp alternator from mechmann, could i keep factory battery? Or would the demand be too much for battery to give and receive? I suppose theres not really another good option other than getting HO alt and another big ol battery wired in parallel to factory one? Or is factory battery not a good option to keep?

A 240amp alt is a great start. You could upgrade your stock batt in time. Some people say don't mix wet cell with agm but if you stick them on a charger once a week they should normalize to the same resting voltage in time. Of course that's a whole other debate and some will disagree I'm sure

Edit: I meant to say if you just add an extra batt instead of upgrading yours

Mechman, dc, singer, I think some guys like us alts but not sure on the last one.

I know just forking out cash is hard on the wallet, so you may end up with a second battery as well. You want to keep voltage up when wiring down.

You could try all three of those companies. DC can have long lead times but they make great products, mechman may have something on the shelf or more options and if you need a one-off custom alt no one else will make singer is your best bet.

Archived