Second Skin Audio

Recommended enclosure volumes

I have a set of Pioneer shallow mount 10 inch speakers with a volume range of .8 max to .35 minimum and the recommended is .6 cu ft. Does anybody have some insight on the disadvantages of going with an enclosure on the smaller side or are there advantages. Do smaller boxes handle or need more power etc? I would love to get away with this scenario being I have limited space(obviously). Also I have this being pushed off of a Rockford t1001bd-cp and a downfiring setup. I'm really wanting to go with 3 10s if possible. 

Pioneer AVH-P4200DVD

Rockford Fosgate T5001 bd-cp

2 DC level 2 12's

Focal Access Components in the front

Focal Access Coax in the rear doors

Rockford Fosgate Punch Boosted Rail 4 channel rms 4x75

XS Power D3400 under the hood

Knuconceptz Ultra Fleks Power & Ground

Are these ported or sealed box volumes we are talking about?

In either case, smaller boxes have smaller performance, especially at the lower end of their frequency range.  Smaller boxes have greater mechanical power handling, so you might be able to put more power to them, however thermal power handling remains that same.  

If there is any way you can avoid using shallow mount subs (especially Pioneer) you will be much better off.  

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

I can go another route. I was going with pioneer because I've had good luck with them in the past. And I'd like to stick with a sealed enclosure and yes that range of airspace is for sealed. 

Pioneer AVH-P4200DVD

2 DC level 2 12's

Ok, well what I said above still applies.  Smaller sealed boxes are going to roll off on the low end faster than a larger box will.  

With a sealed box output is mostly about cone displacement (cone area * excursion).  You want as much as possible.  This is where many shallow mount subs fall short due to their more limited Xmax.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

I guess in a way, I'd be better off doing a couple ref 10s instead of 3 shallows or maybe 4 8s? Can sealed up 8s still sound good as tens?

Pioneer AVH-P4200DVD

2 DC level 2 12's

Archived