Sonic Electronix

Sealed Box+ Open Skipass/Middle seat= Bandpass Effect?

Working with the layout of a sedan for good bass can be a bit frustrating lol. The more open space for bass to enter the cabin, the better obviously. My back seats don't fold down, only my middle seat. The bass is definitely more powerful, but it has this boomy or bloated quality to it. Is this because a sealed box and this smaller pass through to the cabin creates a sort of half ass band pass effect? Bass is not louder if I open the trunk, so I don't see a cancellation issue there. With that said, will moving the enclosure close to the trunk lid help any (sub is secured really well, so I haven't moved it)? I have read up on it, but some people say it is best when the cabin receives more bass with the trunk open.

• 2 weeks later...

im have the same thing with backseats that cant fold down and only using the ski hatch for the air to come out. im using a ported box though and that is tuned to 32hz but im peaking at 52 because of the build acting like a 6th in my case. in your case it is acting like a 4th so you are actually getting a tuning there. in my case the tuning is really high and i cant play really low so moving around the box is probably the fix for your problem. if you dont have it sealed so from the back of the trunk this will help alot of you can get it airtight behind the front baffle of your box.

Thanks for the reply. The issue you're having with a 32hz box sounding like a 6th order, is not good news. I wanted to go ported at 32 or 30hz :(. My box can go down to 30hz, but anything under not really. What exactly did you recommend for moving the box? I'm not quite catching what you're saying.

I actually just finished mine. Same boat, back seat doesn't fold down, only the ski pass. First did 2 15s IB. Worked great, no issues. Now I'm at 1 18 ported with the ports coming through the rear deck. Sub is centered with the ski pass. Works awesome! 

Maybe port through the stock sub hole if you have one?

18 Sierra 6.2 Z71 : 3 F8L's, DD M2a @.67, 1.95@33

05 TL build log SOLD

04 YukonXL : jvc kw-v51bt , RE 6.5c, 4 jbl gt5 12s, Memphis pr1000.1 5.5 cu.ft. sealed

Haha I see that you own a TL as well! I have heard that doing it thru the rear deck is a pain and a port thru the rear deck is also kind of like a band pass. I listen to all kinds of music, so I'm looking for that flatter response. How difficult was infinite baffle for you? And how much did you have to "tear up" to get it built.

41 minutes ago, YukonXL04 said:

I actually just finished mine. Same boat, back seat doesn't fold down, only the ski pass. First did 2 15s IB. Worked great, no issues. Now I'm at 1 18 ported with the ports coming through the rear deck. Sub is centered with the ski pass. Works awesome! 

Maybe port through the stock sub hole if you have one?

1 hour ago, MySetupIsntLoud said:

Haha I see that you own a TL as well! I have heard that doing it thru the rear deck is a pain and a port thru the rear deck is also kind of like a band pass. I listen to all kinds of music, so I'm looking for that flatter response. How difficult was infinite baffle for you? And how much did you have to "tear up" to get it built.

Hahaha na mine is just straight ported. Either way didn't have any bandpass effect issues.

I would say 1 great 15 like a IDmax centered in the ski pass IB would be good. As long as you stick to a 15 it's not bad at all. Just build a cardboard template of the trunk where it meets the back seats, trace it onto some wood and your good to go. I did 2 jbl gto 15s, was happy with them. But I had a stereo integrity HT18 laying around and tried it. Better than the 2 15s. But still wanted more

18 Sierra 6.2 Z71 : 3 F8L's, DD M2a @.67, 1.95@33

05 TL build log SOLD

04 YukonXL : jvc kw-v51bt , RE 6.5c, 4 jbl gt5 12s, Memphis pr1000.1 5.5 cu.ft. sealed

Archived