Second Skin Audio

How much net volume would i need to go ported?

06RTCharger

3 minutes ago, DLHgn said:

Net is the total airspace that the sub can "see". So that doesn't include the port, bracing, sub displacement or any other misc. items. Gross volume would be the total size of the box including port and all that. 

Alright, ill see if i come up with anything even close to that. Thanks man but you dont need to put any more time into it by sketchin up a box. Specially because this is just me trying to plan ahead while the build is on pause. Trying to have some plans ready for when the time comes, but tryin to not waste peoples time too much. Ill post up what i come up with using ur numbers, if anything is even close to it. 

55 minutes ago, DLHgn said:

How's it coming along? 

Ill have some time tonight to get more exact measurements. I was tryna figure out an aero port i could use but nothing comes out to 112sq.in. So i just drew up a slot 14x8 port 40 inches long and it will partially extend out of the box and be ported thru the rear deck-lid of my car. So because the port is partially external i need to figure out exactly how much gross volume the internal portion of the port will take up. So pretty much just gotta get some EXACT measurements and crunch some numbers. Ill let u know what happens tonight.

If i could use four 6in aeros (113.1sqin) would each one have to be the full 40in length? Or does it divide the length between the smaller ports, four 6in aeros, each 10in long, does that work? Just wondering.

Sorry im over thinking over here lol i was workin on the port still and realized how the bend in a slot port makes the port area very inconsistent. The diagonal distance between the corners at the bend  reaches 19.799in. That would mean the port starts at 14x8, toward the middle area it enlarges to 19.799x8 then shrinks back and ends back at 14x8. Thats got to have some kind negative effect right? 

45's should resolve your issue. It doesn't have to be perfectly even all the way through. If you wanted to go that route though, I would make the port walls out of kerfed pieces. That would get you your dimension to be constant all the way through. 

As for the areo question, let me do some digging. I can't remember exactly. I know for sure they have to all be the same length but I can't remember if they need to remain the same length as the larger single port. Part of me says yes they do but another part of me says they need to be shortened to keep the same tuning as the original larger port. 

Alright, I did some playing around in WinIsd to find the answer to you multiple port question. As I had originally thought (should have just trusted myself but I guess it's always good to check yourself), if you have multiple ports that equal the same amount of port area as the larger port, you keep them the same length. Well, in actuality you would need to make them slightly longer but a couple of inches doesn't really make a huge difference. We're talking less than half a Hz usually. 

As for the 45 I did some playing in sketchup (didn't feel like trying to figure out how to do it by hand) and found that if you make the 45 11 5/8", you'll be fine. That's the largest width btw (smaller side would come out to around 10 1/8"). In all honesty, I don't think you would be able to notice a difference between the 45's and making it rounded perfectly but hey, that's you're call not mine. 

Archived