Sonic Electronix

How to set gains differently based on rms output of 4 channel amp

To make this easier to get help on let me go over what I'm trying to do first.

The amp I'm looking at right now is the Rockford Fosgate P600X4 or T600-4, having two mid drivers like the PPS4-6 and two tweeters like the PP4-T hooked up so that the mids are on a separate gain switch than the tweeters. Essentially 2 channels for each type of driver.

Setting the gains so they don't distort is pretty straight forward with a dd-1 or oscope, but how would I set the rms output of the two channels to the tweeters so that they only receive 50 rms in the case of the PP4-Ts. 

So far my guess is to use a combination of a volt meter to measure volts and a clamp meter to measure amps and multiply to get the rms power. 

Would the above mentioned method work for what I'm trying to do? with the volt meter probes in the output of the amplifiers two selected "tweeter channels" and the clamp meter measuring the draw from the B+ 12v input cable? (with a test tone at like 1k hz playing to introduce a load to the amplifier and either unplugging or muting the mid range rca's through my headunit)

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you for your time 

Archived