Second Skin Audio

Help with tuning aero ports

This is what I got for those dimensions. With two 6" long 4" ports. IMG_3293.thumb.PNG.78d7b041ddeb54e4d6e7991fdbb9e836.PNG

When putting numbers in to get you down to 32hz, you would need 28" of port  that seems very extreme and with that much port, I'm not sure how it would sound  something definitely seems off with that box 

Fi Team 18's (4)
Crossfire 16k
Crossfire 400.4 & 800.4
Pioneer AVH-X491bhs
140ah cmax
CES 320's (2)

19 hours ago, KillerKeller40 said:

So I have never played around with aero ports and I need some help figuring out what size ports I need to get a lower tune out of my box. It is 3 cubes (14h x 28w x 15.5 d inside dimensions) with two 4in wide by 6in deep ports. It’s currently tuned to 36hz. I have a sundown X-10v1 on a twisted sounds 3.5k at 2ohms so 1,200-1,500 watts maybe. It does not hit lows at all is my problem. It’s very peaky between 40-60 hz. I’ve done my research and I’m thinking I need to go with two 4in by 10in deep ports to get 30hz but I could be wrong. So I’m asking for help guys. I’ll put a link to the box I purchased. Please guys help me out. 

Link to the box: 

https://www.amazon.com/OBCON-Single-Hidden-Chamber-Hatchback/dp/B001PBPI5A

also if anyone could explain the whole “hidden chamber” thing that would be great lol. 

So had a look at this 14h x 28w x 15.5 d internal, 2x4" ports 6" long sub displ = 0.21 cu ft.

That results in the following box specs: 3.2 cubic [email protected] 25.13 square inches of port area, in-car projected response for that box would be this:

x10.jpg

Plot speaks for itself.

The problem is that your net volume is too high, it will be peaky no matter how you tune it, even if those dimensions you provided were external it would end up a high net volume.

Aero Ports aren't necessarily the best option. Sometimes you can't get the desired tuning and port area with them. Sometimes a standard slot port box will work better. I think that would be the best option for you 

Fi Team 18's (4)
Crossfire 16k
Crossfire 400.4 & 800.4
Pioneer AVH-X491bhs
140ah cmax
CES 320's (2)

Just be open to the fact that the box specs with the best output for your subs, may not be with aero ports. You can certainly use them, but the box might not be optimal. 

I was going to use aero's for my current setup, but no matter what configuration I tried, I wouldn't be able to get the correct tuning, volume and port area. I had to do a slot port in order to get the most out of my subs. I'll pick a box that sounds great, over a box that looks great every time. 

Fi Team 18's (4)
Crossfire 16k
Crossfire 400.4 & 800.4
Pioneer AVH-X491bhs
140ah cmax
CES 320's (2)

Yes, that would give you the tuning you are looking for, but only one 4" port gives you only 6.6 square inches of port per cube. That's pretty small. There is a good chance that you will get port noise from that, and it won't perform how you want it. It's a balancing act to try and get the proper port area, and tuning with aero ports. I would not recommend just one 4" port 

Fi Team 18's (4)
Crossfire 16k
Crossfire 400.4 & 800.4
Pioneer AVH-X491bhs
140ah cmax
CES 320's (2)

Archived