Second Skin Audio

Orion hcca 12 enclosure help

Andyz1111

Hey so I bought a Orion just after I build my sundown zv4 12 rev 1 enclosure to spec but I took off 6 inches off the little l shape of the port which is that back piece, sorry don't know much my first build the zv4 box dimensions is 21x21x16 I did a port back sub up original zv4 port spec is 18+9 5/8 x 16 height but I adjust it to 18+3 length  that form that l shape, and 16 height, opening of the port or width I think you called it is 2.5 my question that box spec on sundown website say 2.5 cf after displacement of the zv4 which is 0.23 the Orion that is inside the box is .0289 I just want to know what my tuning is now 

You need to be clearer about your box specs,so 21x21x16 are internal or external, your port specs should be given as internal width x height x center line length or you can give the length of the individual parts and you need specify wood thickness of the wood used.

Ok that's nice, so with the Zv4 you had a 0.22 cu ft of driver displacement and now with the Orion 12 HCCA you have 0.28931 cu ft  so your box specs for each driver are the following:

Sundown Zv4 r1 : 2.49 cubic feet @ 32.5 Hz

Orion HCCA 12 : 2.42 cubic feet @ 33 Hz

As you can see there is very little difference in box specs, if you notice a substantial difference in the way it sounds it's due to driver differences not the enclosure.

Alright, taking 6" from the extension would result in:

Orion HCCA 12 : 2.6 cubic feet @ 35 Hz

So the tuning didn't go up as much as expected because removing port length actually adds net volume which in turn reduces tuning,  The difference between 33 and 35Hz is still very slight, rather hard to tell apart, I wouldn't be surprised if you didn't notice any changes.

God dude u r da best that all I need for someone to confirm that ? my last question have u ever notice this " when I play bass and I pause a song the sub still moves for a second or two I was wondering if it because of the box but any tnks man I really really appreciate it

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/5/2017 at 8:20 PM, Joe X said:

Mr Joe x can u help me out one more time with this enclosure for an emf banhammer 15 how can I manipulate this zv5 15 the box list below is the dimensions but my car can take more that the 24 " depth I can do 21" most 24" as shown there and height I can go little more I still want the tuning to be 32 hz emf displacement is 0.25 same with the zv5 to simplify can I adjust the height more and lessen the depth to 21 but my gold is to have like 3.5 to 3.8ish cube after displacement

15107709586384860213029813072758.jpg

Archived