Sundown Audio

Tidal Hi-Fi vs Gain Overlap

jnasty

ive realized my my gain settings are trash & need some work. If i understand correctly gain overlap is to pick up where music falls short of the test tone that was used to set the gain. So, mp3's and compressed files might need a big -10db overlap, whereas a cleaner file from tidal hifi (streaming FLAC) might be best with a -7.5 or -5db overlap.  

where do you guys have your overlap on MIDS/LOWS? 

Vehicle: 2002 Ford Escape

Electrical: 275A Singer, 160ah XS/Yinlong lithium, 2,000farad XS Supercaps

Head Unit: Apple iPad Hi-Res Passthrough Topping d10s

Speakers: {ACTIVE} - (4) Arc Audio RS 6.0, (2) Arc Audio RS 4.0 & (2) Arc Audio RS 1.0

Sub Stage: (2) TC Sounds LMS Ultra 5400 18" 

Amplifiers: ARC Audio - (4)4200SE(comp modded, (2)4000SE 

Processing: Helix DSP Pro W/ Dash Mounted Director 

54 minutes ago, jnasty said:

ive realized my my gain settings are trash & need some work. If i understand correctly gain overlap is to pick up where music falls short of the test tone that was used to set the gain. So, mp3's and compressed files might need a big -10db overlap, whereas a cleaner file from tidal hifi (streaming FLAC) might be best with a -7.5 or -5db overlap.  

where do you guys have your overlap on MIDS/LOWS? 

Overlap is about getting the max output from your amps factoring in the reality that the vast majority of music has its peak output below 0 dB.  The type/quality of the how the music is being stored really has nothing to do with it.  Its all about how the song has been mastered. 

If you have a song on an audio CD that peaks at -5 db and you rip that song to MP3, its still going to peak at -5 dB.  Same thing if you rip it to FLAC or any other format.  This is why its important to know your music if you are going to use overlap.  The more overlap you use, the more sure of your music you better be.  

For myself I use ReplayGain and SoundCheck to set all music to the same level.  I use -5 dB to set my sub amp and 0 dB for mids and highs.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Archived