Sundown Audio

Amp not sending signal

toadking90

Quick equipment breakdown.

2016 elantra -factory head unit with the signal outs coming from the head unit cut and soldered into a rockford line out converter

Line out converter

The RCA is rockford ran straight into a rockford prime 500.1 which is powering 2 rockford 12s.

Prime 500.1

A set of RCAs from the pass thru goes into rca splitter which then goes into a prime 400.4 which is powering a set of components and coaxs. the speakers all have rockford wires ran to them directly from the amp and everything is soldered...

prime 400.4

My issue is today while driving the sound cut out completely all at once from my door speakers. subs are working fine... I pulled the rca from the sub amp and plugged it directly into the front and rear of the door amp with no sound. i plugged the rcas back into the pass thru of the door amp into the sub amp which sent signal to the subs again. if anyone has any ideas im open for them cause to me it seems the guts of the amp may have died today...

And thanks for reading if you cant understand or something seems to be missing let me know

Thanks...

What I would do is take a multimeter, set it to ACV (ac voltage) and play a tone at like 100hz at a medium volume. Then check each point of where the signal is going through something at the rca end and see if you are getting voltage or not. Start at the mids amp, then back to the sub amp, the back to the line out, and then right before line out (just probe the soldered wires). 

Just double check that signal is getting passed down. If it comes up as the RCA's going into the sub amp are getting signal, but when plugged into the mids amp, nothing comes out, you might have a dead amplifier which who knows why it is malfunctioning, but depending on where it is secured, vibration is a typical killer.

29408240963_9908a51930_o.png
Best Score to Date : 160.5 dB Outlaw (47Hz)[4 XM 15's & 2 Taramps Bass 12k's]

BL :  http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/147800-chevyboy95s-4-15s-7krms-wall-1533-db-on-half-power/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/hitemwiththeflex/

2 minutes ago, ChevyBoy95 said:

What I would do is take a multimeter, set it to ACV (ac voltage) and play a tone at like 100hz at a medium volume. Then check each point of where the signal is going through something at the rca end and see if you are getting voltage or not. Start at the mids amp, then back to the sub amp, the back to the line out, and then right before line out (just probe the soldered wires). 

Just double check that signal is getting passed down. If it comes up as the RCA's going into the sub amp are getting signal, but when plugged into the mids amp, nothing comes out, you might have a dead amplifier which who knows why it is malfunctioning, but depending on where it is secured, vibration is a typical killer.

Ok sounds like a solid test too...

I have the amps screwed onto the back of the rear seat... So vibration may be the thing.

Thanks for the input

Archived