Sundown Audio

Issue with Rockford 1200.1d amp cutting out at high volume

Kbmcabee

Steves distortion detector wich is basically foolproof or a oscilloscope wich shows the frequency as a wave and allows you to adjust the gain till you see a smooth wave showing clean signal. The gain on an amp isnt a volume knob. It is there to be adjusted to the voltage output of the headunit to give you a clean undistorted signal.

Okay so I went to another stereo shop and talked to one of there installer/builders and he told me that those amp have an issue with being ran at 1ohm even though it’s says they can handle 1ohm. So I rewired my subs up to 2ohm and it did the exact same thing... so I’m thinking that i just got a shitty deal and got a messed up amp... also I think I’m just gonna try and find a different amp rather than spend even more just to make this one work.

What impedence are your subs? Ive never seen a set of subs that can be wired at 1 and 2 ohms. I feel your issue has to do with improper wiring and an issue with your gain settings.

2 hours ago, Kbmcabee said:

Okay so I went to another stereo shop and talked to one of there installer/builders and he told me that those amp have an issue with being ran at 1ohm even though it’s says they can handle 1ohm. So I rewired my subs up to 2ohm and it did the exact same thing... so I’m thinking that i just got a shitty deal and got a messed up amp... also I think I’m just gonna try and find a different amp rather than spend even more just to make this one work.

quit posting random stuff b/c you are not staying on topic and don't know what you're talking about or doing. answer the questions that we are posting. the people you are listening to are not giving you solid information. you can't wire 2 subs to 1 ohm and 2 ohm, it's mathematically impossible.

What Year/Make/Model vehicle? did you use the amps high level or level inputs? 

if nothing changes, nothing changes

You don't know what you don't know, till you don't know

So if I have a sub that is a dual 4 you can wire it down to 2 and then if you take another that is wired at the same impedance and bridge them together you get 1... what I meant when I said it was at 2 is that I wired each sub individually to the amp not together. An btw I already said what vehicle I’m in! And I’m not sure what you mean about the very last question.

I’m not a fuckin idiot! I’m somewhat new to all this so yeah I don’t know everything I am learning and I really do thank you guys for helping me!!

this is why i asked about what ohm loads the op's coils are and what load they are at. it seems they are a little confused about how impedance works on mono amps. sorry OP, not trying to offend. 

okay so it's an '02 tundra. high level or low level is about how you got signal. do you have an aftermarket head unit that you're using RCAs or you have the OEM deck and using an LOC or high level input of the amp. your amp has a plug for high level inputs. try disconnecting your subs and turn up the volume see if it still goes into protect. if you can meter your sub's voicecoils to see if one may be blown. you had said in an earlier post that it goes into protect but comes out of protect. do you have to lower the volume for it to come out of protect or if you just leave the volume at the same level it'll come back? 

if nothing changes, nothing changes

You don't know what you don't know, till you don't know

I was kind of confused when you asked the first time, they are both dual 4ohm. So does it not work like that picture, with a monoblock?

i have an aftermarket deck running RCA’s. I’m looking at the amp right now and I’m not seeing any plug other than the plug for the bass knob unless that’s what your talking about? Okay so if I leave the volume turned up it will cut out and then begin working again without adjusting the volume down. I don’t think it’s going in to full in protect because it has three colors of lights blue when it’s on, pink, and then red which I assume means it’s in protect. Every time it cuts out it goes pink.

I just tried the amp with the speakers unhooked and the amp was didn’t cut out at the level the subs were but that level was turned down significantly... does that mean one of my subs may be messed up??

Archived