Jump to content

2002 Dodge Dakota, Bed Cut Through, Work in Progress


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Time to install the box...finally! It's a super tight fit, but it works. Had to put some foam pads underneath the back of the box in the bed to accomodate the weight of the box during the cab/bed flex

Well, not much progress to show. I'm still without a system, but I got a new job and haven't been driving, so no big. Did decide to go with (2) new DC Level 2 12's to start. I know they're not the mos

Finally a shot of it playing! However, ripping it out today...Moving the amps into the center console, and redoing the box. Also taking the truck in to get bagged, so I need to remove the system anywa

Posted Images

Hell yea man, midlife crisis or not do what makes you happy, get after it, heh heh

 

looking good so far!!!

  • Like (+1 Rep) 1

2007 Chevy Tahoe (SOLD)

12 ~ FI Audio X series 10" w/BP option

2 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @0.67

3 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @1.0 

2 ~ PPI 3 way sets (not installed yet)

1 ~ RF T400-4, 1 ~ RF T600-2, 1 ~ RF T600-4

4 ~ CT Sounds 5.25" Strato comps  (rear fill only)

1 ~ XS Power D4800

1 ~ XS Power D3400

8 ~ XS Power XP3000

160 stock alt, Mechman 370 Elite, 185 DC Power

320+ Sq. Ft. Sound Deadener

Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/knfjdkghjudfhsgkjdhf/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0

Link to post
Share on other sites

With a plan in place, I created a new cutout to accommodate the (4) 8's. This whole project was poorly planned on my part as you'll see in a bit. But for now, we'll move forward.

1.jpg.fe0a1af91635646b8e9b90ab8daef239.jpg

4.jpg.8b2fc946a53e364db98a6499f9193e38.jpg

5.jpg.9253e92eb1518484bae288a2aff8d884.jpg

7.jpg.36d3e4dd85ae36d9409c914dad87c4e3.jpg

To accommodate the separate movement of the bed and the cab, I cut the horizontal straight edges of the bed a half inch lower than those of the cab. The horizontal edges of the cab will hold the box, which leaves the bed to move freely. Since the cut out is wider than the box, I didn't have to worry about the sides lining up. So the vertical sides of the cab and bed were cut evenly.

6.jpg.8607957e345e1ab49431a799aae22d24.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Using 3M window-weld, I installed the boot onto the larger opening. This is where the install went off the rails a bit. Because of the width of the boot in the corners, I had excess rubber sticking out which was sloppy to say the least. I also cut the boot into three pieces to make it easier to install. Unfortunately, this was a major mistake on my part. With all the excess rubber and multiple pieces, it made it impossible to seal correctly.

Window_Weld_to_Seal_Boot.jpg.d1db467fdedf79ddab02883200bc7416.jpg

8.jpg.ffa2ff476bb5a74cae5b686448b2f412.jpg

9.jpg.5c47885e7533149d1babbb15169b01e4.jpg

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Once the boot was on, I got started on building the box. I created the baffle first.

Baffle_Build1_zpsr6cj4wvr.jpg

Baffle_zpsxfeswesn.jpg

Baffle_Test_Fit_3_zpslsk1cupw.jpg

Baffle_Test_Fit_zpscege9xxf.jpg

Baffle_Test_Fit_2_zpsxlokcaqv.jpg

Baffle_Test_Fit_8_w_Frame_zpsdftxnqrc.jp

I made a frame around the hole to mount the baffle/box to. This way it kicks the baffle out about 3/4" to give enough room for the boot surround.

Baffle_Test_Fit_6_w_Frame_zps9otz9mig.jp

With the baffle in place, I traced around the boot to mark where the box would attach to the baffle, while resting on the cab cut, with enough room to move into the bed.

Baffle_Test_Fit_7_w_Frame_zpsm3f6tsfv.jp

Link to post
Share on other sites

Once the basic box was built, I decided to install it and do a water test. Thinking back, I should have done the water test when I first put the replacement boot on. But I was so sure that I sealed it enough that I didn't worry about it. Big mistake!

Box_First_Test_Fit_B4_WaterFail_B_zpskkf

Link to post
Share on other sites

Box was temporarily installed to help me determine any water issues

Box_First_Test_Fit_B4_WaterFail_zps6zij3

Water_Test_Fail1A_zpsmygrmhdf.jpg

Water_Test_Fail1B_zpslfcvswye.jpg

Once the water was pored, I waited a bit to let it all settle. After a while, I pulled out the box to see the damage, and yup, there was water!

Box_after_first_water_test_zpsv9hzxnf8.j

Water_Test_Fail_Box_Wet2_zpsnmjn2jrn.jpg

Water_Test_Fail_Box_Wet1_zpsc9moxbql.jpg

Water_Test_Fail_zpss8nfvkkc.jpg

 

Super Bummed!

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • aburger changed the title to 2002 Dodge Dakota, Bed Cut Through, Work in Progress

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...