2nd Battery advise needed

So I recently installed an optima yellow top battery and forgot I ordered a small XS CP750 battery kit for the trunk. The car is a 2009 Mazda 3 with stock alternator, haven’t installed new cheap “high output” eBay one yet but thought I’d mention this anyway. I don’t have to install the second battery but would kinda like to. Can I install the second battery (in parallel of course) without an isolator? Is it safe to mix match these 2 batteries? I’m not running a massive system and I don’t run it when the car is off. Just looking to be safe and have extra juice if I need it but at the same time don’t want to take a risk if I don’t need to. Just curious what you guys think! 

First post by the way, been lurking for a little while though so hello everyone! 

Thanks! 

P.s. I know the EBay alternator is probably not as “high output” as they say but I wanted to test it out anyway lol 

totally safe to add the XS, in line, and without an isolator.  even on stock alt.  run positive power run from yellow top up front to XS pos in rear, neg from XS to body ground in rear.  Fuse in line within 12" of front battery, fuses between XS and amps.  can ground amps right to negative terminal of XS too.

good luck with the ebay alt, hopefully it works out for you.

if you're curious/concerned about your voltage and want to keep an eye on it, consider getting a volt meter and connecting it to power and ground of your sub amp, and acc wire of your car/radio.  mount wherever youd like.  I personally got a 5 pack of digital volt meters off ebay that have worked out really well for me so far.  I wanted a tiny one so i could mount it discretely in an ashtray and it's worked great.

I actually just installed a volt meter right after I made this post. Car running I’m sitting at around 14.2. What kind of voltage drops should I be concerned about when playing music through the system? Is there a minimum safe limit other than lower than the 12.6v the battery is at? I haven’t been able to run the system yet still installing a few things 

Archived