Polk MM6501 Components

Epic

I had a set of these I got ab 5 years ago, (still have the tweeters) that i loved the sound of. They had a very balanced sound w good highs, midbass and all around performance. I ran passive x overs and didnt have any real tuning to my set up, aside from my own ears, so I'm sure I didnt get all I could from em if the sound was dialed in... but I dont see too many people using them anymore n just curious to hear some of y'alls opinions about the newest version.

I've been shopping around, comparing specs and first hand reviews or opinions on the typical SQ oriented components, brands. I'm trying to stay below $350, but most of the ones I've found that have good power handling are in a higher price bracket than I'd like. 

I'm trying to word this in a way that's not an "A vs B" thread, so I wont mention the components I am considering, but like to hear the overall consensus on the current version compared to the more typical "SQ" components (that I cant afford at the moment lol)

I understand that I can balance out any peaks n valleys w a DSP, but as far as overall sound quality and accuracy, etc I'd like to hear what yall think of the newest Polks and if it's worth it to spend more on another brand in your own opinion.

Thx in advance!

I find I really prefer the sound of woven fiber/glass cones, the transparency & smoothness always catches my ears and if paired with a good soft/silk dome can help make a smooth/natural sounding front stage that can stay balanced at high volumes.

The older mm6501's were very similar to image dynamics cxs line and both are good for the money as you'll find most sets with this type of sound are usually quite pricey, i have not heard the 6502 model yet so i cant speak for it however im not liking the looks/materials of it.

4 hours ago, slowfkncar said:

I find I really prefer the sound of woven fiber/glass cones, the transparency & smoothness always catches my ears and if paired with a good soft/silk dome can help make a smooth/natural sounding front stage that can stay balanced at high volumes.

The older mm6501's were very similar to image dynamics cxs line and both are good for the money as you'll find most sets with this type of sound are usually quite pricey, i have not heard the 6502 model yet so i cant speak for it however im not liking the looks/materials of it.

That's why I think they appealed to me at first bc i liked the materials and they had a nice build quality, but once I hooked em up, I really liked the clarity and overall sound of them. Like you said, I'm hesitant to assume they'd sound as good as the older ones.

I looked at the Image Dynamics just now and on paper they do seem like something that I'd consider. I've heard some very nice setups using all ID speakers in the past, but I'd be curious to give them a listen.

Have you heard the CXS speakers?

31 minutes ago, Epic said:

That's why I think they appealed to me at first bc i liked the materials and they had a nice build quality, but once I hooked em up, I really liked the clarity and overall sound of them. Like you said, I'm hesitant to assume they'd sound as good as the older ones.

I looked at the Image Dynamics just now and on paper they do seem like something that I'd consider. I've heard some very nice setups using all ID speakers in the past, but I'd be curious to give them a listen.

Have you heard the CXS speakers?

I have some experience with ID products, I ran two pairs of the cxs 2 ohm, I liked them so much as >$300 set that they were one of a few purchases that I didn't purchase at my employers store regardless of the discount i got on all the big brands. 

Nice. The reviews I found online were pretty good as well. Seems to be pretty consistent with what I'm looking for. They say the highs are really nice, but hows the freq response between 70-150 hz? 

And that co-ax option is kinda interesting.

On 6/29/2019 at 9:29 PM, slowfkncar said:

70-150 is strong with good impact, blends well with most sub stages, i dont want to directly compare with a said driver but lets just say, compared to other known brands they sound like a 400$+ set imhe.

Ive researched a bit more on those speakers n the reviews seems to be pretty consistent w what you liked about em. I'm actually thinking those may be worth a shot vs the new Polks.

Archived