Second Skin Audio

Sundown x-8 v3 D4 Educate me

Exabits

So i recently got a couple new subs listed in title.  For a couple weeks now I thought they were dual 4ohm.  Thats what it says in the description on many sites.  Also, the naming convention of D4, you would think dual 4. 

However when I measure impedance with dmm i get 3ohm per coil.  That confused me to start.  I then went to sundown website and checked the specs there.  X-8  v2 d4's are spec'd at 6ohm, i assume dual 3ohm in series...

The real problem is I've gone through two amps already. First a cab 2000.1, now a crescendo s1 plus.  Both have cut out, gone into protect with speakers wired in parallel,  which I thought was 1ohm.  Now I'm finding out they're wired to .75ohm which is making amps unstable. I will say the crescendo handles it much better though.  

I guess what my question is, wtf.  Are they dual 3ohm or dual 4?  Why do they have a d4 in name scheme if they're not?  Why do sites list them as dual 4's?  It's costing me a small fortune to get my setup right AND not cutting out when cranking the volume. 

I have a sundown salt-4 on the way now and I'll be adding a 3rd x8 to the mix, maybe a 4th.  One other question would be how should i wire 3 or 4 of these odd ball ohm subs?  .5, .67, 1.5,  right now im leaning toward 4 subs wired to a safe 1.5 but as you know thats leaving a lot of power left untapped. Also, 4 of them on around 4k watts, 1k a piece, good and safe but i know they can handle around 1500 assuming my crescendo is putting out the power it's supposed to.  

My current 2 x8's on my crescendo amp do pretty well but i gotta fix the protect cut out.

Feed me some expertise pls.

Archived