Second Skin Audio

XXX 15", 2nd redone, lasted 2 weeks, look what I found.input?

Paulhertz

Ok, we bought this 15" RE Audio XXX DVC that was "professionally reconed" off a well known store it Toronto. It sounded fine and was broke in gently, no seriously gently.. After a few weeks it sounded a bit funny, local shop says it was overpowered, but only hit with a sundown sae-1000d reasonable gain. So a recone was done, and it was a "better upgrade coil". Anyways it was fine but we pulled it for another sub setup shortly thereafter. I gave it to my buddy and he went to change the box out, when we pulled it out we noticed the magnet was offset in the center? Sub was nearly pinched. Could move it with effort and it looked like the 2 sections are just glued together (can see yellow glue as magnet is slid. I just found all this as I took it apart myself tonight. So my question, as I dont have a way to demagnetize it yet is what the hell is supposed to be holding both sections together? Glue???? I figured there would be a slip fit, or alignment pins, or screws. But it doesnt seem so. Please anyone with experience pipe up.

20200328_210618.jpg

20200328_205434.jpg

20200328_205222.jpg

Generally it’s a two part epoxy that holds the slugs together.

you can pull it apart while magnetized though not fun it can be done 

grind off the remaining glue and use ideally an aluminum shim to put back together

thw ferrite is quite brittle just a warning

Archived