Second Skin Audio

Looking for advice on a subwoofer

2DIE

I'm looking for a subwoofer for a 3.17^3 (90L) enclosure @37hz to run off a 500w amp.

At the moment I'm looking at the following:

Sundown E12
DD DD512

I was set on the E12 however 2 things are making me re think that choice, the enclosure recommendations are 1.75^3 and it's conservatively rated at 500w and said to handel double that on music. 

The DD512 is rated at 150-400W and the recommended enclosure is 2.75^3 which is a lot closer to the enclosure size I will be using.

I've heard of destroying subs by having them in enclosures that are too large but unsure if 500W would destroy the E12 in a enclosure that's nearly twice the recommended specs and read about DD subs liking bigger enclosures. 

2 advantages to the E12 would be price and I prefer the looks, but don't want to take a chance on it without asking for advice first to make sure I'm not disappointed in my purchase. 

With the DD I think it might be more efficient on 500w and it's not far off the recommended enclosure specs. 

The amp is a DD DM500a of it makes any difference.

Thanks for any advice.

images - 2020-04-04T231411.767.jpeg

images - 2020-04-04T231430.358.jpeg

Neither imo. But if those are wat you narrowed it down to pick the one you like the look of best. Both are quality products that are sold by proven manufacturers.

37 minutes ago, mathewyocham said:

Neither imo. But if those are wat you narrowed it down to pick the one you like the look of best. Both are quality products that are sold by proven manufacturers.

Does that mean an enclosure double recommended size the size won't destroy the Sundown E12? 

I'm in Australia so we don't have a lot else to choose from here in that price range unless it's Sony, Kenwood, Pioneer etc 

I would go with the DD. Since pros say they actually prefer to build an enclosure 10% to 20% bigger than factory recommendations along with the port equal to whatever percentage bigger they build the enclosure. Although anything bigger than 20% and the bass starts to fall flat from having too much air space. There's an earlier thread on this site that someone was having that very problem with buying a premade box off Facebook and it being way to big for a pair of type R 12's. I think that was the subs he had

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

5 hours ago, mathewyocham said:

Can u not build or buy a new box? Any 12 you put in that size enclosure will probly have issues.

Possibly, however it would cost me $250-300 in materials and tools (including a jigsaw to match my other power tools)

I've had 2 of these enclosures in the past and was happy with them but gave one to my brother and one to my friend after selling cars and removing the audio gear, they were $300+ when new but are now discontinued. I saw someone selling it one for $60 so grabbed it as they are very hard to find now. They nicknamed "The Grand Royale with Cheese" in its time as it was the best prefab box you could buy in Australia for about a decade or so. 

I know it's not ideal to look for a sub based on the enclosure size but I'd rather find something to suit this than have a questionable quality box with a poor finish I made myself that cost a fortune to make. 

IMG_20141025_153759913_HDR.jpg

5 hours ago, Dafaseles said:

I would go with the DD. Since pros say they actually prefer to build an enclosure 10% to 20% bigger than factory recommendations along with the port equal to whatever percentage bigger they build the enclosure. Although anything bigger than 20% and the bass starts to fall flat from having too much air space. There's an earlier thread on this site that someone was having that very problem with buying a premade box off Facebook and it being way to big for a pair of type R 12's. I think that was the subs he had

Thanks for the reply, yeah I'm leaning towards the DD just for that reason too. I guess it's the DD as I haven't found anything else suitable that I can buy in Aus.

12 minutes ago, 2DIE said:

Thanks for the reply, yeah I'm leaning towards the DD just for that reason too. I guess it's the DD as I haven't found anything else suitable that I can buy in Aus.

Have you looked online? I don't know any specific websites for Australia, but I live in an area in the u.s. where the subwoofer selection is 95% jl, Rockford fosgate, or kicker. I had to do a lot of shopping online to get my new setup. And if you shop around, wait for sales and such, you can get some pretty good deals as well

3 hours ago, Dafaseles said:

Have you looked online? I don't know any specific websites for Australia, but I live in an area in the u.s. where the subwoofer selection is 95% jl, Rockford fosgate, or kicker. I had to do a lot of shopping online to get my new setup. And if you shop around, wait for sales and such, you can get some pretty good deals as well

Yeah I do all of the car audio shopping online as there is no car audio shops for 100km+ around here, we have Rockford Fosgate, JL and Kicker here too but nothing really suitable.

I've just found out via a DD group that the DD-512 can take double the rated power on music so that has eased my mind a bit about the DD sub, as well as being close to the enclosure specs I think its probably the best bet for now. 

I'll look at the brand's you mentioned again and check the specs in detail as I might have missed a few but I'm pretty happy with the DD as my choice for now. 

It might be a few days to a week before I buy anything so I'm not rushing into anything. 

5 hours ago, 2DIE said:

Yeah I do all of the car audio shopping online as there is no car audio shops for 100km+ around here, we have Rockford Fosgate, JL and Kicker here too but nothing really suitable.

I've just found out via a DD group that the DD-512 can take double the rated power on music so that has eased my mind a bit about the DD sub, as well as being close to the enclosure specs I think its probably the best bet for now. 

I'll look at the brand's you mentioned again and check the specs in detail as I might have missed a few but I'm pretty happy with the DD as my choice for now. 

It might be a few days to a week before I buy anything so I'm not rushing into anything. 

Oh no, I wasn't recommending jl, fosgate, or kicker, just using them as an example... if anything, that dd sounds good. Fi audio makes subs that like big enclosures. But if I were in your situation, I think you'd find more suitable subs for that enclosure around the 1000 to 1500 watt range.... if that's an option

Archived