Good morning.

An old question I'm sure, but a new dilemma for me. :unsure:

My choices are sell the car, purchase a used transmission @ $350 or so, or buy a rebuilt @ $1350 + shipping @ $175. Installation is about $350. :wacko:

I bought this 1989 Volvo 240 DL wagon new, and really like the car. It has about 195,000 miles on it. The odometer quit working about 2.5 yrs ago. The body is in great shape, the inside is good except for a little normal wear. I've taken good care of it.

Any recommendations on which is best? Of course money is always an issue, but sure don't want to do this again in a year. I really am not ready to give up on this vehicle.

And any recommendations for repairs to include at the same time? I've heard it's best to replace the rear engine seal and axle seals at the same time. Anything else to be aware of?

Thank you in advance for helpful information. :)

No need to give upon it. The used trans prob wont come with a good warranty, so you would run the risk of this happening again if it decides to crap out in a year.....the reman prob will come with a warranty, time and mileage depends on the vendor.

I think putting 2g into it is worth it if it will give you another few years of service.

Yes, it is a good idea to do the rear crank seal while the trans is out....my $0.02

GuEMAcB_zps08015839.png

Any recommendations on which is best? Of course money is always an issue, but sure don't want to do this again in a year. I really am not ready to give up on this vehicle.

you have your mind made up already,,

but i recomend checking out orileys for a trans. mine at autozone was 1100 and at oriles it was 550 for the same one

and like said above do the rear main seal and while there go ahead and do the freeze plugs that are above the trans

Americas loudest work van2006 iasca heavyweight bassboxing champion at 150.4 db with 60second average TL8 memphis PR15s,12 memphis PR6.5's coax,4 memphis PR 1inch tweets

I had mine rebuilt and upgraded and it came with a 12 month warranty unlimited mileage. The Expo rides a lot smoother with it.

Member since 25 Jun 2006

2011 Yukon DenaliCustomLightz 4300K HID RetrofitEsky TailsEsky Third BrakeEsky 22sEsky Appliques

Thanks to all who responded. You are certainly right; I already know what I want to do. Guess I just needed confirmation.

I have left a message for accurate transmission to get a quote on remanufactured one sold directly to me. I called O'Reilly Auto Parts here and got a quote of $1900-$2000 with 3yr/75K warranty ($500-$700 core deposit). Trying to by-pass middle vendor to save $$.

Previously got a quote from for $1320, $400 core deposit, $175 shipping from http://www.rebuilt-auto-transmissions.com/cgi-bin/webc.cgi/st_main.html?catid=1293&l_make2=&sid=5uJJIM1zf7Vi7lA-38108048012.b0

This rebuilt one has a factory reman torque converter.

Will make a decision when I hear from them.

I have been ripped off so many times with my car and home repairs, that it's good to get independant confirmation. I don't even mind walking for a few days to do this.

Thanks a bunch again.:D

i dont blame you at all, there for awhile i would go thru a tranny atleast every 3 mos, junk yard trans and they were 250 plus oil seals and filter, so basicly 300 plus 2 days missed work which takes the damage to around 5-600 loss,.

and last year i paied over 1500 in transmissions..

went and got the reman from orileys with awsome warr. and its been awhile and ive put alot of miles on it and im happy.

and since then i dont recomend anyone to get a used one at the junk yard. unless its for demo derby or shit car raceing ...

Americas loudest work van2006 iasca heavyweight bassboxing champion at 150.4 db with 60second average TL8 memphis PR15s,12 memphis PR6.5's coax,4 memphis PR 1inch tweets