Second Skin Audio

Box design help - sub forward, port back?

Jbird61801

On 4/12/2020 at 12:10 AM, 121gigawatts said:

And aero on the side is always accurate and musical. But note that any enclosure can sound like shit if measurements and frequencies are wrong and not in correct specifications to the subwoofer itself. 

Ok, after a few more rounds with WinISD and designing sub front, Precision 6" aero on the side, I think I'm pretty close. Port velocity(35m/s), group delay, SPL, all look pretty good. Box volume(3.5cuft) and tuning(32Hz) are within subwoofer specs. There is about 5 inches of clearance from the trunk wall for the port to breathe. And some of my trunk is still usable. However, after using the whole 17" long port, the entrance inside the box ends up pretty close to the subwoofer magnet. About 2 inches away. So the entrance gets partially blocked. Big deal or no?

Put 2 or 3 3” aero ports instead. 2 would need to be about 9.5” in length, both 9.5” a piece. And 3 would need to be 14.25”, all 3 14.25” in length a piece. Then just slide your enclosure 3” from the trunk wall. 

:stupid:“How can we help you?”
:guido:
“And don’t forget to tell them that 
the customer isn’t always right.”

Do 3 on the side in the back furthest away from the subwoofer and line them up vertically along the back side of the enclosure on the side 1” away from the back wall of the enclosure. You need at least 1” of clearance from any wall and any port. You need “13 of inside clearance vertically (height). That would move more air than 1 6” aero port so it’s better anyways. More bass because more port area but still same accuracy because it’s the same tuning frequency. 

24 minutes ago, 1.21gigawatts said:

Put 2 or 3 3” aero ports instead. 2 would need to be about 9.5” in length, both 9.5” a piece. And 3 would need to be 14.25”, all 3 14.25” in length a piece. Then just slide your enclosure 3” from the trunk wall. 

Well crap lol. How much do you pay attention to port velocity? 3 3" aeros is 47m/s. And 2 3" aeros is 70m/s.

Will that be too much port noise?

9 minutes ago, Jbird61801 said:

Well crap lol. How much do you pay attention to port velocity? 3 3" aeros is 47m/s. And 2 3" aeros is 70m/s.

Will that be too much port noise?

I didn’t calculate it. What are they saying for one 6”? I’ve never used WinISD because I heard it’s faulty. 

Archived