Second Skin Audio

Lacking Subwoofer Performance at Low Volume

Nojoah

5 minutes ago, Nojoah said:

Thanks a lot for the input guys. I do actually have an alpine MRP-M450 that I could also test instead of the Kenwood But at 4 ohm its still only producing 220 rms. If you think it'll help to swap the amps I could switch them over. I'll work on getting a picture for you later today of the gain and crossover. When purchasing the gear I figured that the matching kenwood excelon sub and excelon amp would sound quite good together.

The kenwood amp I had was an excelon too and it was crappy. Let me guess, you’re probably running the same amp, the x500 or x501 or x502? Because your kenwood amp is a 500 watt amp? I’m figuring this out because you said the 4 ohm thing. 

:stupid:“How can we help you?”
:guido:
“And don’t forget to tell them that 
the customer isn’t always right.”

7 minutes ago, Nojoah said:

Side note - I also have an older 10" eclipse sub (not a shallow mount) in a larger sealed box that I could potentially put in front of the back seat if it would make a big difference. Although, takes away a decent amount of space in the back.

The enclosure is what’s gonna make the difference. That larger enclosure is a better choice and I would run that alpine amp over that kenwood amp for sure. 

Yeah, you’re gonna have to switch that amp and subwoofer. Because the only way for that amp to get loud is to clip the shit out of it and I wouldn’t recommend it for the longevity of a subwoofer. I know from experience that them amps suck. I was disappointed in that amp. I expected more from it. 

2 minutes ago, 1.21gigawatts said:

Yeah, you’re gonna have to switch that amp and subwoofer. Because the only way for that amp to get loud is to clip the shit out of it and I wouldn’t recommend it for the longevity of a subwoofer. 

Thats what I figured. Change of question then. If I were to run a second sub with a second sub amp (not ideal I know but as a student money is tight) as well as the amp for my speakers would this start causing some electrical issues with dimming headlights, etc. It is a 6.4 power stroke so it comes stock with a larger alternator and dual batteries. Total rms would be somewhere around 820 according to the specs so probably a bit lower. 

Archived