Second Skin Audio

Lacking Subwoofer Performance at Low Volume

Nojoah

2 minutes ago, 1.21gigawatts said:

Here in a little bit I’m gonna post a how to and videos and a link so you can tune your subwoofer amps and speakers amp like a pro. I’m gonna watch some tv first though.  

Thanks a lot I really appreciate the help. I'll work on wiring some stuff up in the next day or so.

https://www.parts-express.com/33uf-100v-electrolytic-non-polarized-crossover-capacitor--027-328

this is the capacitor you need to buy for 53 cents and this is where you need that loose speaker and speaker wire. If you don’t have soldering iron or gun then use electrical tape. This is how to make and use a distortion detector. 

:stupid:“How can we help you?”
:guido:
“And don’t forget to tell them that 
the customer isn’t always right.”

the volume can be at any level as long as there’s sound. Play the test tone frequencies off of YouTube that you want to set your filters (hpf, lpf and subsonic) to to set that filter at that frequency you’re playing. Watch these videos and tell me if you understand. 

Sorry, I haven't had a chance to look at the forum today.

Those videos are great though and definitely something I can do. So would you suggest then that I set the filters using the multimeter then use the external speaker and capacitor to set the gain? Also when seeking the gain with the speaker I'm assuming I should have the volume from my headhunt at about 3/4 or whatever I intend to use as my maximum? 

Actually, another question, none of this requires the actual sub or speakers to be connected correct? And the gain control has no relation to the type of sub or speaker connected? By this I mean that the sub won't distort when connected after setting the gain in this fashion?

You’re welcome dude! For the subwoofer amp it depends on the tuning of your enclosure to set the subsonic filter. Set it about 5hz lower than your enclosure/port tuning. But set the low pass filter on your subwoofer amp to 80hz. For the speakers amp, some play with full range and some use high pass. I use high pass. So set the amp on high pass mode. It should have a switch to do so and put the hpf on 75hz so it overlaps with the subwoofer amps so you don’t miss a beat. 

Archived