Second Skin Audio

4th Order BP - Dual Subs- 2 Chamber ok?

M007

14 minutes ago, M007 said:

Thanks a lot! So sounds like a 2 chamber design and how long does that port have to be?

I’ll tell you whenever you draw up a design, just tell me the exact volume of the ported enclosure and I’ll tell you how long the port has to be. And make sure on the bracing you use a 2” dowel. 

:stupid:“How can we help you?”
:guido:
“And don’t forget to tell them that 
the customer isn’t always right.”

10 minutes ago, 1point21gigawatts said:

I’ll tell you whenever you draw up a design, just tell me the exact volume of the ported enclosure and I’ll tell you how long the port has to be. And make sure on the bracing you use a 2” dowel. 

If you trust the numbers you came up with then I’m just going to go with that. I totally dropped the ball on the winISD modeling obviously. Lol. If I understand your reasoning, and the physics, the ported side will roll off the higher frequencies so if it’s tuned too low, it will actually still be boomy, just on the lowest notes? I.E. Dull, lifeless, etc?

My external gross dimension limits are:

H = 20”

W = 48”

L = Doesn’t matter, can make up cubes there if need be. 

Doesn’t matter if port is to one side or in the middle. 

sketchup frustrates me so I have always just calculated, verified in winsISD, and then written everything. Then I‘ll bring it to a fabricator I trust since the BandPass has to be so precise and I’m at home with my 3 kids while all the daycares are closed. 

8 minutes ago, M007 said:

If you trust the numbers you came up with then I’m just going to go with that. I totally dropped the ball on the winISD modeling obviously. Lol. If I understand your reasoning, and the physics, the ported side will roll off the higher frequencies so if it’s tuned too low, it will actually still be boomy, just on the lowest notes? I.E. Dull, lifeless, etc?

My external gross dimension limits are:

H = 20”

W = 48”

L = Doesn’t matter, can make up cubes there if need be. 

Doesn’t matter if port is to one side or in the middle. 

sketchup frustrates me so I have always just calculated, verified in winsISD, and then written everything. Then I‘ll bring it to a fabricator I trust since the BandPass has to be so precise and I’m at home with my 3 kids while all the daycares are closed. 

If the ported section is tuned too low it will decrease the output and sound like crap. The sealed section will handle the low notes, low lows. Trust me. 

19 minutes ago, 1point21gigawatts said:

If the ported section is tuned too low it will decrease the output and sound like crap. The sealed section will handle the low notes, low lows. Trust me. 

Cool. I’ll trust ya. If I follow your numbers precisely, how long would the port have to be? If I have to move some of the port into the enclosure, I’ll just factor that into the volume. I’ve got about 5 inches from the bed wall to where it should end before the back seat. Also, would I round over the ends of the port with a router or would that throw things off since it has to be exact?

Are you doing this on paper or is there a better program I should get? Lol. 

8 minutes ago, M007 said:

Cool. I’ll trust ya. If I follow your numbers precisely, how long would the port have to be? If I have to move some of the port into the enclosure, I’ll just factor that into the volume. I’ve got about 5 inches from the bed wall to where it should end before the back seat. Also, would I round over the ends of the port with a router or would that throw things off since it has to be exact?

Are you doing this on paper or is there a better program I should get? Lol. 

Man, I’ll just design one for you right quick. Use .75” birch or mdf and use a 2” dowel for the brace. 

6 minutes ago, 1point21gigawatts said:

Man, I’ll just design one for you right quick. Use .75” birch or mdf and use a 2” dowel for the brace. 

Dang. Alright, can’t argue with that. Can I order you a couple pizzas or a 1/5th of something for all your trouble?

Just now, 1point21gigawatts said:

Why are you laughing? I just designed a 4th order enclosure for you. Help yourself. I’m done. 

Naw man, I was just completely taken back by your generosity. Look at my comment under it. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Archived