Second Skin Audio

Port: How long is too long?

akuma4u

1 hour ago, akuma4u said:

alright man ill get this made...

when you said this will be better than sundowns recommendations,.. in what ways will it be better exactly? more output/louder? better bandwidth? better roll off?

Yes. Better output/louder and better bandwidth. 

:stupid:“How can we help you?”
:guido:
“And don’t forget to tell them that 
the customer isn’t always right.”

I have to ask for clarification so i know in the future... Why is it said that when overpowering a sub and to get a more spl based louder sound, you are suppose to use a smaller than recommended enclosure and conversely, when using lower power..go bigger than recommended? So is this wrong or did i understand it incorrectly?

As for me personally, my amp does 2700rms at 1 ohm. After rise im being very modest and saying it does 2k clean prob more like 2200 or 2300 but im being very modest. So any way u slice or dice it, im over powering. So using that theory i should be using a smaller enclosure..so u see where my hesistation comes in..cuz using a bigger box goes against what ive been reading for so long..

And you aren’t putting out 2000 rms, you’re rising around 2 ohms or more and that amp is rated at 1300 rms at 2 ohms. Rise from 1 ohm ranges and doesn’t have a set load but the most common I’ve seen and experienced is around 2.3-2.5 ohms. But it could more or less. And that subwoofer can handle over 2000 rms after rise. 

25 minutes ago, 1point21gigawatts said:

And you aren’t putting out 2000 rms, you’re rising around 2 ohms or more and that amp is rated at 1300 rms at 2 ohms. Rise from 1 ohm ranges and doesn’t have a set load but the most common I’ve seen and experienced is around 2.3-2.5 ohms. But it could more or less. And that subwoofer can handle over 2000 rms after rise. 

So let me understand this...im wired to 1 ohm but after rise, i settle around 2.3 to 2.5 ohms? If this is correct, i didnt expect that much of a rise. I thought it would rise to mid 1 to just under 2.

This amp is heavily underrated so that helps

9 minutes ago, akuma4u said:

So let me understand this...im wired to 1 ohm but after rise, i settle around 2.3 to 2.5 ohms? If this is correct, i didnt expect that much of a rise. I thought it would rise to mid 1 to just under 2.

This amp is heavily underrated so that helps

I’ve heard that before. Rise from 1 ohm to like 1.8 ohms. But you don’t know your impedance rise until you meter it. 

Just now, 1point21gigawatts said:

I’ve heard that before. Rise from 1 ohm to like 1.8 ohms. But you don’t know your impedance rise until you meter it. 

True. But judging by my ears, it does not sound like 1500rms at all... I had one builder want a demo and he lasted a few seconds until he told me to turn it down then asked me why the hell i would want a new box when i already sound this good. I told him i can prob get louder. I doubt 1300rms would deliver those kinda results..

32 minutes ago, akuma4u said:

True. But judging by my ears, it does not sound like 1500rms at all... I had one builder want a demo and he lasted a few seconds until he told me to turn it down then asked me why the hell i would want a new box when i already sound this good. I told him i can prob get louder. I doubt 1300rms would deliver those kinda results..

You’d be surprised at what 1500 rms really sounds like. You’re probably around doing a little more than 1000 rms after voltage drop. Clamp it and see. But we are getting off topic a little. The 2.19 cubic foot enclosure you designed will work good on either one of them subwoofers and that amp. For sure. You will be very happy with it. Trust me. What are the specs of the enclosure you are using now?

1 hour ago, 1point21gigawatts said:

You’d be surprised at what 1500 rms really sounds like. You’re probably around doing a little more than 1000 rms after voltage drop. Clamp it and see. But we are getting off topic a little. The 2.19 cubic foot enclosure you designed will work good on either one of them subwoofers and that amp. For sure. You will be very happy with it. Trust me. What are the specs of the enclosure you are using now?

Its about 2 cubes, 32 to 34hz with 39 square inches of port. The tuning is a lil low for my my musical tastes so another reason i wanted a new box was so i could tune it a bit higher 36 to 38hz..

54 minutes ago, akuma4u said:

Its about 2 cubes, 32 to 34hz with 39 square inches of port. The tuning is a lil low for my my musical tastes so another reason i wanted a new box was so i could tune it a bit higher 36 to 38hz..

Understandable. 

Archived