Second Skin Audio

Sundown x 15 box designs/help

hello. I'm currently in process of building a new box for my x 15 d2 it has a spl cone with nightshade coil and soft parts im looking to build a areo port box i have 2 six inch areo ports looking for a tuning of 30hz i built my last one at 4.2 tuned to 32 hz with slot port it sounds good and low but just want a areo port box and something to do lol. It will be on 1800 rms and in a trailblazer 2007  I really need some design help as im not very creative lol any help would be awsome you guys know your stuff to 

20200523_200515.jpg

2 6” aero ports isn’t enough port area for that subwoofer. And from looking at the enclosure in the picture, that isn’t enough port area either. It recommends 68sq” but it best to go a little bigger. FOR REAL! You are restricting air flow and holding back output. The enclosure needs to be bigger too. It’s best to go a little bigger than recommended on the enclosure to and calculate the increase and apply the same increase to the port area. Build another slot port enclosure 4.75 cubic feet or close to after displacements, subwoofer displacement as well and 76sq” of port area or close to. 

:stupid:“How can we help you?”
:guido:
“And don’t forget to tell them that 
the customer isn’t always right.”

Thanks man so would a single 8 inch port work? And the feet are there cuz i had it resting on the latches that come attached to the car and ot about rubbed a hole through it lol and that design I stole form some old one here also didn't add thats a v1 im not sure id that will make a huge difference. Or not 

One 8” aero port is less port area than 2 6” aero ports. So no, that won’t work. A 10” aero port would work perfectly but it would stick out the enclosure some. But that’s ok. Port area and net volume is what you need to focus on, not looks. The formula for figure port are of an aero port is radius times radius times pi. 

Ok ya looks dont bother me and I planned to have it sticking out of the box at least up to about 10 inches and make some sort of wood cylinder to put around for protection and what not and looks what about a 4th order do they do good in them and space dont matter could i get aways with one ?

That subwoofer wouldn’t do well in a 4th order enclosure. It would do best in a regular ported enclosure or a 6th order enclosure. But I would just do a regular ported enclosure with subwoofer on the top off to the side and port in the back on the opposite side firing at the rear hatch, 10” away. 

If a subwoofer has a QTS of below 0.50 then it will not perform well in a 4th order enclosure. I’ve seen people get away with a QTS around 0.45 and perform well but the coils would heat up, I smelt it. So 0.45-0.50 is pushing it. Them X15s have a QTS in the higher 0.30s, so it won’t work. Not even close. 

It has a nightshade coil it says it will handle 3500 rms does that make a difference with it having these custom parts i dont really know any specs to go off of.amd the spl cone also with that i had to give up the big fat surround not the cone is more of a u series look 

Its also the v1 motor and not the v2 lol so its just kinda every a frenkensub it pounds though dont really get to warm at all butbwith that coil im not to worried with the power i got and that only 1833 rms and thank you also for responding i know alittle bit but I just started making boxes i usually just search the web for other people designs and use them thats where I got that one from the one i made and am currently using 

20200502_215942.jpg

20200229_172947.jpg

Archived