PeterTri Posted September 3, 2020 Report Posted September 3, 2020 Hello, I'm getting a new Mercedes GLB as my company car, to use for the next 3 years. The car has no extras (basic version), and has the basic 110w sound system (6 speakers total - 1 tweeter and 1 woofer on each front door, and 1 woofer/full-range on the back doors). I want to upgrade the sound quality (with a limited budget (~750USD) since the car is not mine), and three options were presented to me, by the several car audio shops I talked to: A) Install a DSP amplifier (e.g. MATCH PP-62DSP or M5DSP MK2) and maintain the stock speakers B) Install a "regular" amplifier (e.g. ESX QM400.4), and change only the front speakers (e.g. Morel Maximum), keeping the back speakers stock - I could also add a simple subwoofer for about ~100USD extra on my budget C) Change all 6 speakers for a "good" set (e.g. Focal Performance) and maintain the stock amplifier - cheaper option From what I read, the trend now is people to install DSP amplifiers. However I feel I would get a better sound quality with option B than from option A. Since I'm no expert, what should I go with the stock speakers and only a "new tech" DSP amplifier (option A), or put an "old tech" amplifier and new front and subwoofer speakers? One of the shops gave me an alert about doing this hybrid solution (B), saying that the Mercedes car system would block the sound or event play it very low on the front/amplified speakers (since it would detect this power change has a "short circuit"). What do you think? Should I go "new tech" or "old tech"? Option C? Or even a D one no one told me about? PS: I am from Europe, I usually listen to vocals and accoustic/unplugged music (via CarPlay or USB flacs), and I usually drive alone.
Dafaseles Posted September 4, 2020 Report Posted September 4, 2020 I would say C, but add a quality line out converter behind the stock deck (I assume you're using the stock deck), but still ditch the stock amp and get a decent aftermarket one and add a little sub just for some low end. It doesn't sound like you'll need a ton if wattage for what you're trying to achieve, so I wouldn't think it would get very expensive. I would recommend doing some research and find an above average shop to install it though. The installation absolutely matters and some of the luxury car brands do funky things with their stereos where the whole car can get confused on what's going on and cause problems. For every problem though, a good, reputable shop that knows what they're doing, has an answer 99% of the time. That's just my opinion though. 2011 Chevy Silverado under construction My build log here. Check it out!
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.