Passive to active

mossman

I'm running a pair of Hertz HSK165 miss/tweeters for the front channels in my 2011 Acura TL.  I recently installed a JL TwK 88 DSP (was using an AC DQDX previously) and can't seem to get it to sound the way I want (couldn't with the DQDX either).  I'm beginning to think the speakers are the cause.  They sound hollow to me and hurt my ears at higher volumes.  They have enough power and no clipping.  I'm curious if ditching the passive xovers and going active would help at all, or if the speakers themselves are the cause.  They actually sound pretty awful when the DSP is bypassed.  I installed them brand new a few years ago and they aren't damaged or anything.  What do you guys think?  Should I give active a try and see if that helps or ditch them for another speaker?   

I should add that the tweeters are currently mounted to my sail panels (aimed towards the drivers seat) and the woofers are in the factory door locations.  I don't imagine the separation is helping.

After further inspection, I think my primary issue is that the midrange speakers on the lower door are not only too far forward, they are also tilted forward about 10 degrees.  I opened both doors so the midrange were more or less pointing at me and it sounded substantially better.  No wonder the RTA was showing a huge dip from about 700 Hz to 1,100 Hz that I couldn't correct without jacking up the rest of my response.  Looks like a 3-way system may be the solution.  I'd need to find a place to customize my A-pillars for me though.  Or I could probably do the mounting myself but would have a local shop upholster them.

I've been doing some more thinking, and I'm leaning towards a 3-way system and running the woofers active so I can control the delay and EQ individually.  The only thing I need to decide on is if I should get coaxially mids/tweets or go with separates.  I'm going to have to do some custom work anyway so it doesn't make much difference from a labor perspective.  I'm more concerned with the sound and how much better, if at all, separate components will sound.

Separate. I don't know how much better it will sound, but I know it will sound quite a bit better as long as you set your crossovers correctly. 

My vote is separate

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

Archived