Second Skin Audio

BMW X5 build

Scotnemily

So my 2001 740il needs a new engine. Probably not gonna happen. I picked up a 2013 BMW X5 in the meantime. Of course the factory audio is no where near what I want. I don’t think I am gonna go all out though, probably a modified stock system for now. I am thinking 2 8” VFL comps I picked up last year and are still setting in the box. I am probably going to stick them in the spare tire well. I will post pictures as I get stuff figured out. Right now I am in the early design stages. I will miss those 2 12”s

Ok so after some measuring, I came up with a general idea. leaning towards 3 of the 8" subs. I have enough room to easily fit them. here is a rough mock up of the subs and Synergy amp. spacer.png

spacer.png

I would probably make a beauty panel to give the amp a more flush mount look, and hide the wires. just added all the items for scale. sorry the amp model is not very detailed yet.

So after playing around some with the design, I ran across a post online from a guy named Matt Schaeffer. Guy does awesome work. turns out he has done a X5 and posted some pictures. I am going to use his as a guide for mine. something will probably change, but here is a concept based off from his work. Matt if you are a member here, awesome job on your X5, mine wont be nearly as nice.

Here is the enclosure with the beauty panels installed.

PtsHT66.png

I plan on putting some type of removable grill over the subs.

here is another view without that grill.

ygX1hi4.png

And lastly, here is the enclosure without the panels.

KrhZx88.png

I think I am going to have to move the amp to another location. I just don't have the depth I need to comfortably mount it there. I had to make the box not a deep to fit. I am leaning to something like this now.  sorry just a rough markup with some orange led glow added. all of this would be under the stock cover and not visible unless the cover is opened...

lcIUDdH.jpg

Hh2MEkG.jpg

Ok did a fit check with a board today and confirmed the size I needed. Picked up some Baltic birch today. I also did a test fit of a battery. nothing exciting, but it fits in the space nicely. 

f2OqQyo.jpg

I cut some boards today and tacked them together for a quick test fit.

MMs3ljy.jpg

just put a single baffle on for now, will add the other later.

YxOfsn5.jpg

Good thing I only put the single baffle on right now.  going to be a tight fit.

KAVKThp.jpg

the curve on that edge is hitting. I could probably take the battery out and put the box in, then put the battery back. final install might require that.

oCHlNmh.jpg

For now I just pushed it in.

T1mYK8R.jpg

I am going to need to shape the second baffle to match the shape in the car. I will also probably have to move the battery when I install it.

I do have a problem though. I was really hoping the amp would fit between the box and battery since it is just a little tooo bug to set on the floor beside the battery. That Is not gonna happen. only 2 options I have are to cut the box about an inch shorter, find a different place to mount the amp, or find a different amp. I needed the box to be this size to make the speakers happy. I guess 0.89 ft^3 won't make a noticeable difference in the size of the box. 

Ok I cut the box shorter and glued the sides and bottom together. Don’t have the speaker cut outs yet, they are marked but that is all the time I had. 

Todays lunch break work.

I set the box back in to make sure the amp will fit.

wN59Paw.jpg

I really wanted to lay the amp down, and put it on the floor. it is about 2 inches to long to fit. so it will set in something like the above picture.

Next when I set the baffles in place, I had another fitment issue with the 2ns thickness of baffle. As I mentioned before the angle of the opening would mean I needed to put a radius or something on the 2nd baffle. Not only did I need to do that, but I had to make the 2nd baffle thinner for about 4 inches and a 45 degree chamfer for 7 inches. It fits now though.

Q1oGbVN.jpg

zq6x8OY.jpg

bf3MQqA.jpg

Over the weekend I was able to get it all glued together. Finish work like paint or vinyl or led lighting will have to wait for nicer weather. here are some pictures. I flush mounted the speaker terminal so the bolts wouldn't hit anything.

EOBHhgI.jpg

I put this in for a brace. I didn't think I would need a lot of internal bracing in this box. the board laying by the tape measure also got put on the inside and top back of the box. I did this for a little extra thickness there as I may have to trim more with the router when the box goes in. I think it will be fine, but I wanted to make sure.

bvgBZnS.jpg

Here is a look inside.

LvtBcY7.jpg

here is a side profile pic with the double baffle.

mVmmUS4.jpg

and I set the 3 subs inside just to take a pic. they are not screwed down yet.

Z5wLpok.jpg

Archived