Sonic Electronix

Skar 8 Inch Sub in an E46?

Hey everyone, I'm brand new here and had a question about a Skar sub. I'm pretty new to aftermarket sound systems as well, so any help is great. 

So I am looking for a budget setup for my 325i E46, non Harman Kardon, and found this Skar SDR- 1X8D2 8 inch sub with an amp kit. I am wondering if this would be strong enough to hear for my car, as I have heard that the trunk is very well sound insulated due to the steel plating behind the seats. Some guides said that a sub that is in the 200-300 RMS range would be needed, and this little 8" is 350 RMS, so I'd assume it would work out well. In the demo videos it seems to bump pretty hard for a small sub.

Second question is on how difficult this install would be, or if I would need any special equipment for it. The kit is this Sub and Amp Kit.

Any help, or any other budget subs + amp recommendations would be great! (I'm a poor SOB and don't want to spend above $300 on this stuff currently.)

6 minutes ago, Dafaseles said:

Are you keeping your stock head unit? 

Yes. The head unit would be stock, the amp for the rest of the audio systems is stock as well. I watched a few videos on the wire splicing for an e46 and most of the videos used a PAC SNI-35 Variable LOC So it can just run the RCA lines included with *most* amp wiring kits. So stock amp-> aftermarket amp -> sub. The battery and stock amp are located in the trunk of an e46, just a FYI.

Ok. That sounds fine. Just didn't want you to think you where going to be able to hook up your RCA's directly into the stock head unit. Just be aware a lot of LOC's are temperamental. If you don't hook them up perfectly, step by step, it could give you problems. Just do your homework, watch some YouTube videos, and you should be ok

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

7 hours ago, Dafaseles said:

Ok. That sounds fine. Just didn't want you to think you where going to be able to hook up your RCA's directly into the stock head unit. Just be aware a lot of LOC's are temperamental. If you don't hook them up perfectly, step by step, it could give you problems. Just do your homework, watch some YouTube videos, and you should be ok

Alright cool. I'm very new to the whole amp+ sub setups so I wanted to check with you guys before I jumped in headfirst. Do you think this little setup is a good beginner/ budget choice? I've heard mostly good things about almost all of the Skar products.

10 minutes ago, Dafaseles said:

I'll be honest with you, I've never used Skar. I've heard a lot of bad things about Skar, but I've talked to a lot of people who swear by it as well. 

It's so hard to tell honestly. In my research of different brands over the past week, some people love a certain brand, some people hate them. I think I might just go for it this summer and install the Skar. I don't need window shaking bass currently, and money is a factor too of course. It's only $250 for the whole kit and it'll be good for experience. I'm sure I'll end up upgrading within a year or so though. I appreciate you helping with this stuff man.

Yeah dude, if you're ordering it off Amazon, their return policy really is second to none. I talked to one guy who accidentally bought 2 dual 4 ohm skar subs when he needed dual 2's or something to that effect. They told him keep the subs and sent him some replacements for free.... then 1 came dead on arrival and he decided to go with resilient sounds subs instead, but that's a different issue. So yeah, if something goes wrong, you should be able to replace it no problem at least. But like I said, I've also talked to plenty of people who swear by skar and will use nothing else. 

Catch the car audio bug, save some money (lots of money) and slap 2 15's in that thing next! Lol. Good luck! 

41 minutes ago, Dafaseles said:

Yeah dude, if you're ordering it off Amazon, their return policy really is second to none. I talked to one guy who accidentally bought 2 dual 4 ohm skar subs when he needed dual 2's or something to that effect. They told him keep the subs and sent him some replacements for free.... then 1 came dead on arrival and he decided to go with resilient sounds subs instead, but that's a different issue. So yeah, if something goes wrong, you should be able to replace it no problem at least. But like I said, I've also talked to plenty of people who swear by skar and will use nothing else. 

Catch the car audio bug, save some money (lots of money) and slap 2 15's in that thing next! Lol. Good luck! 

That's the plan! I just wanna feel this out a bit before I upgrade and start to shake my neighbors windows 😆. Doing a ton of overhaul and maintenance on the car this summer, so the more economical the better! You've been a saint with helping me out man. I'm sure I'll have questions on installing it but I'll come to that bridge later.

If I can make 1 suggestion, if you can swing a little extra dough, I'd go ahead and do the big 3 upgrade under the hood with some good 1/0 OFC cable. Not only will it benefit your system, but the whole car's electrical system will benefit. For just 300 ish watts, it's not necessarily needed, but it's always a good idea when adding an extra draw through the vehicle

I don't know how true it is, but some people have said their fuel economy actually went up after a big 3 upgrade....I have my doubts about that one, but the electrical will flow through your car a lot smoother. 

Archived